E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

"Landmark" stem cell development for a PD cure.

stem cells

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Read about it here:

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z5

#2 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

NY Times on the development is here: http://www.nytimes.c...ls.html?hp&_r=0

#3 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:44 AM

good news: "Still, the demand for therapeutic cloning may be less now than it was a decade ago because scientists can now use adult skin cells to create a stem cell very similar to embryonic cells, but without the need for embryos. These are called induced pluripotent stem cells. The induced cells also sidestep the ethical issues of embryonic stem cells, which are often created by destroying embryos."
Attempts to use either type of cell for therapy remain at the early stages of research, so it is not clear which will turn out to be better. So-called adult stem cells, taken from blood, fat or other parts of the body, are another possible option."

bad news: "A drawback of therapeutic cloning is that there might never be enough human eggs available to treat all patients, should the therapy ever work. Egg donors can suffer serious side effects from the powerful hormones needed to generate multiple eggs.
Dr. Mitalipov said the technique was efficient enough that one donation — which can include multiple eggs — would probably be enough to generate a stem cell line, even accounting for failures."

Edited by Luthersfaith, 18 May 2013 - 05:45 AM.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#4 SteveAlten

SteveAlten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

My name is Steve Alten and I am a NY Times best-selling author diagnosed seven years ago with PD.

Today, a video was released that describes a new Parkinson's protocol that has been used with incredible success - I completed the treatment 4 years ago and it really made a difference. They just released the video -- please spread it around!

Thank you,

Steve Alten, NY Times best-selling author and PD patient

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stem cells

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users