E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Dystonia on (Otherwise) Asymptomatic Side?

dystonia muscle cramps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ShakingTheChi

ShakingTheChi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

I've been diagnosed with PD for about 2 years with the principal symptom being a moderate tremor in my right hand (and in my right leg from time to time). I take 1mg of Azilect per day. About 4 months ago I had a painful cramp in my left ankle and shin that last for about 5 minutes. That day I had taken a long walk after a week of limited exercise while on vacation. Last night I awoke from a sound sleep with a similar cramp in my left ankle/shin that last for less than a minute. That day I had undergone intensive physical therapy for a lingering case of tendonitis in the left foot/ankle. Does the fact that these cramps are not on the same side as my tremor make it less likely that the cramping is PD-related dystonia? What should my doctors and I be looking for to judge whether the cramping is a symptom which would signal that it's time to start a new medicine and stop attributing the cramps to high arches and resulting injuries? Thanks as always for your great insights!

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

These cramps are likely PD and you are very under-medicated for having PD for two years. You should consider an agonist or levodopa and work with your doc to optimize and avoid side effects (especially obsessions and compulsions).
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dystonia, muscle cramps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users