• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 healthgeenie

healthgeenie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

I found the information very interesting in a 'nun study treatment' research says that if a person has the chance to undergo a genetic test much better. It is the TOMM40 tests and ApoE4 tests that have to be completed. For people who have ApoE4, it means they have great chances of a 50% of contracting the Alzheimer's disease. But for those who have both genes- which are the ApoE4 gene and TOMM40, then most likely, there is 85-90% of chance for these people to l contract Alzheimer's, as what has been said and showed in the most recent scientific studies.

#2 carruthers209

carruthers209

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationStockton, CA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Have you had your DNA tested via 23 and Me? Unfortunately the "free" DNA testing piece for Parkinson's patients is no longer being offered but for $99 the test can be done for whomever wants the information. The APOE gene is part of the testing process and according to their website the normal population has a 7% incidence of Alzheimer's and the APOE4 gene variant population has a double or 14% incidence of Alzheimer's. The site goes on to caution that many people with Alzheimer's don't have the APOE 4 gene and vice verse-those with the APOE4 gene may never get Alzheimer's. Haven't heard of the TOMM4 gene but then I'm just a layperson, with no scientific background. 23 and Me mentioned the TOMM4 gene but said they don't test for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users