3 replies to this topic

#1 wacbc

wacbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hi, Dr. Okun,

Does your book mention the possibility of dementia in Parkinson's patients? I understand that not every patient develops this, and that it's not as severe as that in Alzheimer's.

I'm considering getting the book for my family member, who is the Parkinson's patient, to personally read, and while I'm a believer in self-determination and full disclosure, I'm currently of the belief that my family member (based on my understanding so far) would do better without this information than with (for example, I've read that some Alzheimer's patients prefer not having known of their diagnosis, and suffer in their self-esteem and outlook).

(My family member hasn't shown any signs thus far; I may get the book regardless and read myself but want to avoid giving to her in case it does mention the possibility of the symptom.)

Many thanks,
wacbc

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,644 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thank you so much for the question. I have travelled the world and received a ton of feedback on the book and there are 50+ reviews on Amazon.com for Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life. The consensus has been that the book is one of the few, and maybe the only positive upbeat book on Parkinson's disease on the market. I would suggest you read through the reviews. You are totally spot on that not all PD gets dementia.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 wacbc

wacbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Thanks. I am very much looking forward to getting the book. From what I have been able to understand, it's not only helpful, but also positive, in its information as well as approach.

I am wondering if it specifically mentions dementia, for this is one topic I'm trying to avoid raising with my family member for now. I want to be able to directly give the book to her to read herself. (Otherwise, I will probably read myself and then relay the helpful information to her.)

Thanks again,
wacbc

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,644 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Dementia is not one of the secrets addressed in the book.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users