18 replies to this topic

#1 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

This is kinda personal, but figure most men on here are husbands or adults, so here's my question, Ladies, when you are cycling, the week or so before you bleed do your symptoms seem to get worse? its weird I have looked and looked to see if there is any topic of this nature, but found none. so here we go, hopefully this will answer my ? and also help some one else. It just seems that about this time period last time and now that symptoms are more active I guess you would say, so didn't know if it was the pd or just that time of month. thanks

#2 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Sorry, can't help ya. I had a hysterectomy at age 33 and its been wonderful! I would imagine, though that it would because any stress on the body affects PD symptoms.

#3 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

According to the following study (Menstrual-related fluctuations in Parkinson's disease) : "Eleven of 12 premenopausal women with idiopathic Parkinson's disease recognised an increased severity of their symptoms for a few days before and during menstruation".

http://onlinelibrary...010112/abstract

There seems to be a significant effect of estrogens on PD...Many women with PD report worsening of their parkinsonian symptoms when their estrogen levels are low...(a few days prior to menstruation and the first days of menstruation).

http://parkinsonrese...strogen-and-pd/

for what it's worth i've noticed exactly the same. I seem to need more levodopa just before and during menstruation.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#4 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Christie,

Yep. A few days prior to starting it feels like my levodopa just doesn't work as well as usual. Glad to know it's not just me.

Edited by Vanillab1027, 21 June 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#5 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

thanks so much, for all your help

#6 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

Christie, so how do I go about asking dr. about uping lev/carb. before cycle, cuz rest of time I am doing well. just seems I am more symptomatic, during this time of month. I know that I am maybe expecting to much, just wanna be as normal as possible. hope this doesn't come across as complaining, I have so much to be thankful for. I read you ladies comments to my husband and it really helped him to understand also. I love my husband so much, but I think in his mind that there is a cure all, so I share with him some of your comments to help him understand also what is in this world we now live. Good Bad and in Different. Thank you all sooooooo much, if there is any new advice, please share.

#7 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

vanilla, I am sure we are all learning so much about each other helps us learn more about ourselves. I know I am, and I too am so thankful that its not just me, not that I wish this on anyone not even my worse enemy. May we continue to learn and help one another.

#8 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Christie, so how do I go about asking dr. about uping lev/carb. before cycle, cuz rest of time I am doing well. just seems I am more symptomatic, during this time of month.

Question is: will it be easy for you to cut back on your dosage again after menstruation? Without experiencing some kind of-mild-"withdrawal" symptoms? Our brain needs time to adjust to medication changes. You should definitely discuss all these issues with your neurologist.

I also wonder if we could try more "natural" ways to reduce our discomfort during that time of the month... A little more exercise (for those who can!!)...Resting more than usual? Avoiding aggravating factors, like stress or lack of sleep? Drinking more coffee? Whatever helps in general with PD, whatever helps with PMS (premenstrual syndrome) will probably help us feel a litte better, without having to resort to more pills.

Edited by christie, 22 June 2013 - 03:21 AM.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#9 xaxa

xaxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

Yup. Same here! In fact, I also have trouble during ovulation, fwiw. I increase my Sinemet during those times. I also document the days it takes longer to kick in, or wears off too soon. Trying to find a pattern cuz I don't buy the "stress" theory. I also have more insomnia during those times. Your doc should be familiar with this phenomenon (or will be soon! Haha) and should help you tailor therapy accordingly. Good luck and never be hesitant to advocate for yourself!

#10 xaxa

xaxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

Also please keep us posted! :)

#11 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Yes, yes yes. Symptoms certainly worsen when your pms and during. I was initialy nervous bringing this up to my neuro. But glad I did. He said anytime your body is fighting something or your hormones are up or down, your PD will be effected. He prescribed extra meds.
I think being open as you can with your doc is a benefit. Mine completely trusts my judgment as he knows I am in tune with my body at all times.
Good luck!
Karen

Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#12 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

thanks ladies what a help, have a great day.

#13 chelle

chelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationDeep South Louisiana

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

I have noticed symptoms definitely get worse. I can't have more kids but take BC for regulating so I only have a cycle every 3 months but at that time monthly I still get worsened symptoms. I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK

#14 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

spoke in general to dr. today, about this issue due to the fact here it comes again, and what to do, told him some of you ladies suggestions and he agreed I told him didn't want to up meds for a week or two and then come down, so he agreed with the fact of trying to reduce stress during this week or so, and try and relax, do as much natural as possible. if this doesn't work then I am suppose to bring it up when I go in august. so ladies I hope this helps those that are going through the same things. love and prayers to you all.

#15 Sister411

Sister411

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationHill Country, Texas

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

I actually have been in bed all day today, due to this. I haven't spent an entire day in bed in awhile but I think the influx of hormones virtually nullified my meds. My neck and upper back is cramping badly and overall just feel lousy. I will certainly ask neuro next time I see her, what her suggestion would be. Stretching usually helps muscle fatigue and soreness but not today.
"She is clothed in strength and dignity and she Laughs without fear of the future". Proverbs 31:25

#16 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

sister411 post what your dr. says, I am still very curious, I go to my neuro aug. 27 or 29 so keep us posted. thanks

#17 Sister411

Sister411

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationHill Country, Texas

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

I certainly will
"She is clothed in strength and dignity and she Laughs without fear of the future". Proverbs 31:25

#18 tremblenurse

tremblenurse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay Area

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

I am new to all of this (well at least with having an idea of what may be actually going on)...but I have noticed the same with my symptoms.

This month I just began taking Sinemet, titrating dose since last Sat, and although I haven't noticed any big changes yet (I just started taking 1/2 tab 3 X a day yesterday) I have noticed that this month my symptoms aren't getting severely worse as the do every other month....so maybe that means the meds are working more than I thought.

My verbal skills go out the window during this time, ability to speak and word finding....cognitively I am usually in a deep fog and easily confused...tremors are always worse and the dystonia is off the hook...........Last month I had to leave work early because of these things, this month I made it all the way through.

#19 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:34 AM

august cycle worse than ever, as far as symptoms returning, the other day, I took meds as prescribed and at the four and half our I took next dose, and symptoms calmed down by the time the five hour was up. I go to dr. weds. the 28 so will bring this up, my question to those of you that know where I am coming from with meds. should I ask to be moved closer together as I am only four months and a bit from dx. I just hate to keep uping the meds. please give advice will check in tonight thanks in advance. sarahjo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users