7 replies to this topic

#1 dgray001

dgray001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

July 13th is fast approaching and I realize to many, its just another day. But it is a very significant day for me, its the anniversary of my father's death. He passed away in 2004, at the age of 79, after a long battle with PD. PD didn't kill him, but he suffered with it for many years and in the end, it was a massive stroke that took his life. His health had declined, dementia was rearing its ugly head at times, and we knew Dad was not well. However, nobody expected the stroke or that he could leave us so quickly. Mom found him unresponsive in his favorite recliner and called for an ambulance. Our small town hospital could do nothing for him, his vitals were good, but he appeared to have no brain activity. We transferred him to Lexington and they also said, I'm sorry there is nothing we can do but make him comfortable. My mom and I had to leave for a bit to take care of a few things and my brother stayed by his side. We barely made it home and we got a call saying his vitals were dropping and we should return asap. I think my car developed wings because I made the trip very quickly and we practically run down the hospital cooridors. We got to his room and the nurse said he had waited on us to get there. He passed within a few minutes with all of us by his side. I will never forget watching him take his last breaths.

He was a preacher and never lost his faith in God, even when he was at his weakest moments. I was the typical preacher's bratty kid and I rebelled against Dad and his strict rules. I lost my way for a bit, but Dad never stopped loving me or being there for me. I was well into my 30's before I really began to appreciate the morals and values my dad had taught me. He was a wonderful man, friend to everyone, always a smile and kind word. To know him was to love him and he made the world a better place just by being in it. I'd give anything to have a few more days to spend with Dad, to tell him I'm sorry for being a brat, that I love him, and I'm a better person because he was my Dad.

Oh and Dad.....of all the things you had to leave me, did you really have to leave me with this PD thing? I mean really? I wasn't that bad....LOL Just kidding, it was your "thing" and now its mine, and I'm OK with that. Rest in peace my dear sweet Dad, till we meet again.

So if you're lucky enough to still have your parents, hug them, love them because tomorrow is not promised.

#2 sessie

sessie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hugs to you!!!

#3 tveraldo

tveraldo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVIRGINIA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

He sounds like he was a great man...I to watched my dad take his last breath. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. Remember the good times...you will see him again.

#4 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

What a beautiful tribute!

#5 sarahjo

sarahjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

sorry for your loss. may you find comfort during these times, and days to come, also a time to reflect the good times also. God Bless

#6 OneWingedVictory

OneWingedVictory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

This really struck a chord with me. I have a difficult relationship with my father. Your post reminds me that I can choose to be annoyed by him or to have compassion for him. Thank you, dgray, for sharing this loving tribute.
The One Winged Victory of Samothrace is a metaphor for our struggles, despite the odds, to keep steady and accept grace in the face of punishing adversity.

#7 dgray001

dgray001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thanks all for your nice comments, I appreciate it.

#8 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hello Dgray,

Very nice tribute to your Dad.

jb
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users