3 replies to this topic

#1 xaxa

xaxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hi there. Hoping you get this soon.... Took Ambien last night and today feel like dying. I never take sleep aids but just wanted to not wake up in the middle of the night. Feeling flu like, which appears to be a side effect. Here are my questions: what is the half life of Ambien, would flumazinil help, and what are the most common SE's of this poison I mean drug lol. Thank you so much any assistance. Desperate!!!!

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

The half life of the 10mg can be 1.5 to 4.5 hours. The half life of the highest strength (12.5) can be 3.0 to 6.0 hours.
The issue you are having is the residual effects. The med is basically in the blood stream and moving its way out of your body. If the dose was too high or if you took it along with anything that could bind the liver enzymes, it could stay in your system longer (ie 24 hours).
So, what to do now? Well, you are experiencing what they call a "drug hang over." Which feels very much like a real "hang over" with flu like symptoms of stomach issues, headache, fatigue, etc... The best way to handle it is lots of fluids ( water and particularly gator aid for the electrolytes, light foods, and rest. Because right now it has affected your central nervous system to give you these systems.
You should be ok within 12 hours or so. If there is any fever, hallucinations, sweats, etc... Get to the Dr asap.
Next time make sure you take a dose that is within your weight class and also look up what not to take with ambien
Good luck and I hope this helps.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 xaxa

xaxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thank you! :). No worries; never taking that stuff again! Excellent info; I do wonder about it's mechanism of action...

#4 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thank you for the kind words. If I were to explain the mechanism of action, that could be about a 2-3 week process. If you really want to know the MOA, let me know. What might help you out more is to "Google" mechanism of action of ambien. Look at some of postings there. After you have read it, if you have any questions then, feel free to ask.
Just let me know.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users