Parkinson's Disease Progression Highly Variable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

This is the first study I've seen showing that nonmotor concerns such as dementia are much less prevalent than previously believed. I am most thankful to the study authors. -Kathrynne

Parkinson's Disease Progression Highly Variable

Megan Brooks
Jul 05, 2013

Editors' Recommendations
Drug & Reference Information
SYDNEY — Progression of Parkinson's disease (PD) can be highly variable, and dementia, psychosis, and dysphagia are not invariable features of the disease, even when disease duration is longer than 30 years, researchers from Italy have observed.
The few studies that have described the long-term clinical course of PD have reported data only up to 20 years of disease duration, and those studies had small samples sizes, until now.
At the Movement Disorder Society (MDS) 17th International Congress of Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders, Roberto Cilia, MD, and colleagues at the Parkinson Institute in Milan, Italy, reported data on motor and nonmotor features of PD in a large cohort of patients 20 years – and in some cases 30 years – from diagnosis.
The retrospective cross-sectional study included all consecutive PD outpatients with disease duration beyond 20 years attending their center from 1998 until September 2012. A total of 320 patients had PD for 20 to 22 years, 168 had PD for 23 to 25 years, 89 patients for 26 to 28 years, and 50 had PD for 29 years or longer.

Slow Progression
The researchers report that disease progression "may be extremely variable; it may be slow-progressing" with only 50% of patients in Hoehn & Yahr stage greater than 4 at 30 years after diagnosis.
And although postural instability is an invariable feature of advanced PD (seen in all patients at 30 years), this is not true for falls, probably because of preventive strategies such as use of wheelchairs, they note.
Dementia also does not appear to be an invariable feature of late-stage PD, according to this study. "The prevalence of dementia remains about 30% to 35% over 20 years, including those over 30 years from the PD onset," Dr. Cilia told Medscape Medical News.

More:
http://www.medscape....warticle/807396
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#2 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this info with us ! So encouraging...

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#3 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

My thoughts, also, Christie -- the most positive news I've heard in a long time. Still praying for a cure, however.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users