#1 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

A little background... DH fell off a ladder about a year ago hurting his shoulder, hitting his head, etc and every once in a while suffers pain in that shoulder. Well, last night he was feeling his shoulder trying to pinpoint where the pain was coming from. Baaaaddd idea. Not only did he find it, but the pain from feeling the tendon that was hurting caused him to go into a bad full body tremor, for lack of better words. He can handle a LOT of pain but it was so bad he was in tears and then the shaking, it was hard to watch. I keep telling him he really needs to go to our doctor so he can send him to the neurologist. I don't know what difference it would make but he's wanting to get a certain amount of work done before taking time off. I feel helpless. I can only do so much. I know he feels like less of a person, hopeless, depressed b/c he can't do all the things he once could. He was up in a ceiling doing work and a coworker and his boss told him to get down b/c he's in his 40's now and men in their 40's don't get up in ceilings, lol. He thinks just b/c he can get up there and do what needs to be done is ok, just b/c he can! What if he were to fall on the way down or lose his balance and fall? The doctor he saw about his shoulder said if he ever fell on it again it would shatter it. Who knows what else it would do to him.....

He also has mitral valve prolapse and has issues with his kidneys and liver which I think is another reason he doesn't want to try any medications for his PD, afraid of it making things worse.....

UGH.... I try to reason with him logically b/c it's like talking to a Vulcan sometimes and he usually finds a way to disagree with me.......
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#2 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

So sorry, this is hard. Hope you can find the right doctor that he will be comfortable with seeing.

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#3 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Lovemyhubby, It is more like trying to reason with a child in my case, nothing works for the most part. Someone else suggesting something works much better.

#4 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

At this point I think the only way he'll see the doctor is if his boss tells him to go. His boss has asked if he's seen anyone yet and then said he'll eventually need to. I just feel like he keeps making up excuses not to but if he keeps putting it off I feel it's only going to make things worse. I guess he feels like since he can still get things done, so he thinks, then he doesn't need to try to get started on any medications in case it makes things worse since it may take time adjusting to them. Does that makes sense? Like I said, I don't know what to do, he doesn't want to listen. I can't make him go.
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#5 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

sinemet doesn't really take time to adjust too as long as the dose isn't too high. Also, it works quickly and doesn't last long, that is why it needs to be taken so often. An hour after taking it can turn a person around. Does the boss know about the PD? If so that might be the only way he will go.

#6 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm not sure exactly what his boss knows. My DH changes what he says. I don't think it's on purpose, I think he forgets and doesn't admit it. His boss knows something is wrong though. Everyone has seen the tremors. DH has said before that some coworkers knows it's PD but then yesterday he said they just think he's just been shocked too many times (whatever).

From all I've been reading it looks like Sinemet has less side affects than other medications but still helps. He is really pessimistic about taking anything for the PD. And I would hate to have to go behind his back and say something to his boss but it may come to that point. We have a friend who works with him, maybe I can ask him to say something, lol..... I think it's just a matter of time. He told me after that bad episode he doesn't know how much longer he can keep it up, keep working... He's worked hard his whole life though and can't even imagine not working so I think that's making it hard on him to decide what to do.

I love my DH very much and will always be there for him but this whole thing is stressing me out. :cry:

#7 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Does the friend know about PD? if so, that would be a good person to suggest it to him. He could always take the meds on the weekend if he is afraid of the effects.

#8 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yes, he does. I'll try talking to DH again and bring up trying the meds on the weekend, that's a good idea.

#9 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

I agree and in some weird way sinemet works great for me. When I get close to a dose time I find myself feeling crappy. I take the dose and within a half hour or so I feel better. This happens a lot when I am very active, working out, fishing, cutting wood etc. sometimes I even take the dose a little early if I am feeling bad. I have tried the agonists and they did not agree with me but recent I am on the patch and it seems to have boosted me good.

Everyone is different I hear people saying the agonists are great. They made me sick at the beginning and grumpy! The patch so far seems a lot better I hope it pans outs because I worry about using up the sinemet.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#10 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Brad, Don't worry about using up the sinemet. The doctor at Mayo said to find the dose that works and then work our how often you take it. You may just have to start taking it more often is all. Too much causes the dyskinesias and compulsive behavior.

#11 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

DH hasn't made an appt yet. He told me this evening his sister invited us for dinner Friday night. He thinks it's only so she can "fuss" at him for not going in yet, lol. I haven't had the opportunity to talk to our friend.... Just thought I'd give a little update..... Curious, is Sinemet pricey? We do have insurance and personally I'm not worried about the cost since it could mean DH feeling better, to some degree. I'm wondering if that's another thing he worries about and why he doesn't want to go in yet, afraid he can't afford the meds in the first place. *shrugs*

#12 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

I don't believe sinemet is but I know the dopamine agonists can be pricy. I have good insurance so I am lucky there. I believe my Neupro patch would be around $200-400 per month without it.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#13 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Sinemet or the generics are relatively cheap compared to the agonists, saved us thousands. The thing Dr Okun mentioned was to stay on the same one all the time Sinemet versus a generic as there are differences in efficacy even though there isn't supposed to be any. Not all generics are equivalent in efficacy compared to the name brand. Saying that, my wife does well on the generic. If she were to take the name brand it might be too much or not enough at the same does, who knows.

#14 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Good to know. Yea, we usually get generics anyways since it's basically the same as name brand, including over the counter items. Why pay more if you don't have to, right? Lol. I'll keep that in mind though for future reference. I would hate for there to be a mix-up (it happens!) and end up with another brand and it have ill effect on him. Again, for future reference, he's not on anything yet....

#15 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Any updates? Is he on meds yet?

#16 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

No. No doctors visits, nothing..... Only good thing to report though is he may transition into an IT position at work which should be a little easier on him physically.... Symptoms haven't gotten any worse. I haven't asked him how he has been at work but his legs have been ok at home, for the time being. ...He does seem to be waking up in the middle of the night more lately....

Sorry for the absence, I've been having back issues so have either been resting or putting my energy and focus into housework. :)

OH, it may be a while before it's needed but I did order one of those free hospital kits found on this site. It came last week. DH actually looked at everything and thanked me for it. That was a shocker, lol.

#17 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the update.

#18 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hello everyone. Sorry I've been MIA. Have had a lot going on but that's nothing new, lol. I do have an update though!!! Hubby's condition has "progressed", enough to the point that his boss has TOLD him to see doctor for his PD. SO, during a recent visit to our doctor (we've been sick), hubby mentioned his PD and needing a referral to a neuro. He now has an appointment for Friday, the 15th. I honestly don't know his experience with PD, I'm just glad my hubby is finally taking that step. It's a big one and he's avoided it long enough. His legs haven't been giving him any problems, somehow he has the ability to adapt, but his fingers and hands have been curling up and fingers getting stiff.... It has really affected his work. Many have seen his episodes, I know he's embarrassed. If he's with someone and it happens he just tells them he has to wait a moment, usually ends up explaining it. The friend he works with, I don't know, it's like at first he didn't believe hubby had it but then he's seen the symptoms but he's wishy-washy, lol.... Anyways.... Sorry for the babbling..... I've started homeschooling our kids so I may not be on often but I'll be sure to update after hubby sees the neurologist. Hope you all are doing well, under the circumstances. :)

#19 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Good luck with the visit to the neurologist on the 15th. I'm impressed with you homeschooling your children on top of everything else. 

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine; Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#20 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hope all goes well, meds will help him tremendously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users