#1 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

Just curious to know what kind of hobbies you all have, for those who do. Any of you make money from your hobbies as a source of income?

My DH still works, for the moment but it's been on my mind if I should encourage him now to take up an old hobby for when he can no longer work, maybe try and sell some items he makes. He may have a few options to choose from. :)
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#2 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

I like the subject. I have a lot of hobbies but don't know if I can make any money off of them. I just started fishing rod building and repair.
Have sold so,e stuff on eBay but just getting started. I have about 1 year and 10 months to retirement (not that I am counting) but the thought has crossed my mind also. I love to hunt, fish, workout, cut firewood and do home repairs. I have put in an in ground pool myself but those things I am worried I won't be able to do in some years downs the road. I have thought of doing some consulting work on security due to my military and current background.

If you don't mind me asking what does your husband do?
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#3 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

I do alot of wood working and have sold stuff at the locate Flea Market. If I remember from a diffrent post your husband does pyrography? I have dabbled in pyrography but nothing to impressive. I tend to stick to building the big stuff. I also refurbish old stuff that I find when people through it out.

Hunting, archery, fishing, hiking, alot of stuff I can't figure out how to make money from,,,,,, YET.

Edited by Donald Ennis, 24 July 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#4 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

My husband is currently a master electrician. He has also owned a pest control business, used to do computer work and has done construction work like remodels (bathrooms, kitchens, etc), and tile work. He had a job offer not too long ago for computer work and we both wished now that he had taken it. I know PD effects more than motor functions and computer work may also one day be difficult but it definitely would have been easier on him physically. He enjoys being an electrician and does very impressive work.

He has done pyrography, crochets (very well too), he is good at painting but wouldn't take it up as a hobby.... If I think of anything else I'll post it. :)

Oh, a few years back he bought some round boards at Lowe's, drilled some holes for a board game and then pyrographed covered bridges on each one and stained them different colors. Made $30 on each one. We had taken them and some things I made to a covered bridge festival. I suggested he do some beach themed items since we live near the beach (practically on the beach actually, lol). I've thought about trying my hand at mosaic art, maybe small beach themed signs but would need his help and experience. There are several places that sell locally made items where we could take them...

Edited by LoveMyHubby, 24 July 2013 - 03:42 PM.

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#5 zackabenie

zackabenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, Texas

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

My hobby of knitting is just now starting to take off. I have been knitting over 45 years, sweaters, afghans, etc. but other than gifts never took it to the next level. I have started a website and will be selling knitted market bags as of Labor Day, when my website is launched. I will let you know if that is profitable. I also do ceramics and bake, but neither of those have brought in anything but hungry neighbors and friends!
Joelene -
Smile every day and laugh at least once at something the PD is now causing you to do. I personally love the "left" turns that happen as I walk. The smile really works - it makes everyone worry what you have been up to!

#6 LarryH0123

LarryH0123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAiea, Hawaii

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Great Topic,

All of my hobbies decrease my bank account instead of increasing it. While in Hawaii I go sailing, snorkeling, and hiking. I rode motorcycles for commuting, touring and just fun for 28 years. I sold my last bike when I had trouble pulling in the clutch due to my fingers locking up in my pd side hand. Last Friday I took the day off and rented a Maxi Scooter which worked really well for me. When I retire in a couple years and move back to the mainland, I plan to buy a Maxi Scooter, maybe a Suzuki Burgman 400 or 650. Probably the 400 since the 650 weighs so much more. I plan to rent the new BMW 650 GT scooter the next time I ride here.

I also plan on buying a three wheeled recumbent pedal powered vehicle to help me stay in shape. As I said, all bank account draining but all fun.

#7 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Just finished making a walking stick. I like taking long walks, but I needed something just in case, and I really feel stupid carrying a cane. Woodshop wins again.

#8 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

May be you should think about making walking sticks...I've been looking for a good one...hard to find.

Patricia

#9 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Just finished making a walking stick. I like taking long walks, but I needed something just in case, and I really feel stupid carrying a cane. Woodshop wins again.

You shouldn't feel stupid about using it, or carrying it. It just might come in handy in another way. There used to be a guy who lived on our road, before we moved, who would walk up and down the street with a golf club. I can see how that would come in handy, it'd hurt if used in self defense. A cane would look less silly IMO.

I agree with Patricia, you should try selling some. Give them different textures, colors, etc. Hmmm......

#10 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'm going to make a few more walking sticks and see how they do. I like the longer walking stick, 5 Ft over the cane, about 3 ft. the 5 footer would make a pretty intimidating self defense tool also as you pointed out LoveMyHubby. I will take pictures when I have some done and let you all see

Edited by Donald Ennis, 25 July 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#11 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Here's an interesting question...should a walking stick be geared to one's height...for example I'm 5'1"...what height stick...maybe we can get you on ebay or QVC yet.

Patricia

#12 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'd love to see how they turn out. Maybe a few in both lengths, if you plan on trying to sell them.

#13 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Patricia, yes an ideal walking stick should be about shoulder height with the hand grip about 3-4 inches below that. the nice thing with a stick that is about 5 feet is it is easy to take some off the bottom to make it fit right.

#14 Pokermid2

Pokermid2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationEssex England

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Errrrr.....Hi everyone. Interesting subject.........................the book Revelations. I prefer the book of Ezekiel myself. Gods holy sword on the planet Earth. Now there was a guy that knew how to hand out some righteous and terrifying retribution! Oops, what a silly billy I am! i was looking at the wrong thing! I do love Astronomy and Photography and hopefully, when i can get the right equipment, a bit of the two combined!

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company!

#15 zackabenie

zackabenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, Texas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Walking stick vs cane mmmm..... interesting. when you have a few completed, maybe we could see pic's, and I am sure some of us would be interested in purchasing one.
Joelene -
Smile every day and laugh at least once at something the PD is now causing you to do. I personally love the "left" turns that happen as I walk. The smile really works - it makes everyone worry what you have been up to!

#16 joy h

joy h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

My Parkinson Dr does not want his patients to use a cane as they encourage you to lean forward. I have waling sticks. It is funny this should come up. Measure wish you should put your arm at 90 degree angel and that where teh gri should be. Donald my daughter is getting married and I don't want to take my orange walking down the isle. How much would you charge to make me a set. Would they have a wrist grip and a hand grip

#17 joy h

joy h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

I forgot my hobbies I bake, knit, cook, sew, garden, can. All has been very hard to do and I wish I had all the money from the baked goods I ruined by leaving out something or that I shook off the cookie sheet. It is frustrating but I do some each night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users