6 replies to this topic

#1 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

My mom has been on 150mg Stalevo 3 times a day along with various doses of Mirapex ranging from .75mg to .50mg 3 times a day. Her PD has been around for the past 15 years and 2 years ago she stopped swallowing her medication whole and chew or keep them in her mouth. Dementia came in 2006 and so she has no idea what she's doing anymore. Rather than go through the frustration of making her swallow I have been crushing the Stalevo even though I know it's not meant for that. End result is she get s huge rush of happy in the first 30 minutes of taking it and then is sleepy here and there for the rest of the day. When she was taking it whole it was terrific. She would walk and be awake and just be normal.

Sinemet was too weak for her and she was like a walking noodle stick. She needs Mirapex because that adds more power to her and makes the Stalevo last longer. I am trying to wean her to less Mirapex because that is causing major drowsiness I know.

Question - Anyone here crush their Stalevo too?

#2 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

why not send your question to the pharmacist

#3 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

Been there done that.  He thinks by doing it this way it's too much too soon.  I wanted to know from someone who's done it.  My mom cannot be the first PD patient to have a hard time swallowing meds.

#4 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:34 AM

What a friendly forum.  Thank you for the responses.

If I had an answer for you, you would have had it.  No need to be rude.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#5 tlstarkenberg

tlstarkenberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBowdon, Georgia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:23 AM

am on sine met 25 250. take one half tablet every 4 hours . I crush into fine grains and take half tablet for what i think is better effect. have rls at end of pills about 3rd hour, and tremors are constant and pilll rolling in other hand is also. Dr. wants to increase dose or add patch. I only want to increase when I have to.

#6 lu states

lu states

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

i just saw your post.  what if you crushed the stalevo and mixed it in whatever she likes, a bit maybe 4 to 6 times a day ?  does she have a helper besides you ?   seems you would be  creating a " sort of " time release that way.  just shooting out my ears here.   occured to me when i read your post.     good luck,   lu states

#7 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thank you for responding.  I crush and mix in apple sauce daily for her. It's hitting her all at once which is creating a high on drug type euphoria for her.   I cannot break it up because I don't know how much really is getting in her and at what type so that would be dangerous for a time release pill like that.  Regular Sinemet is fine because every part of the drug is evenly distributed.    She takes it witn Mirapex and she's sleepy 20 hours a day.  I feel so bad because she's bascially lost 8 years of her life from the lack of alertness and I'm her only caregiver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users