#1 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

I finished my first triathlon today! It took me 1:20 and the run nearly killed me. On the pd side during the race I didn't have any real problems other than a stiff neck and shoulders right before the start but they vanished once the race began. After the race I was exhausted and took a big fat nap. I usually need to sleep for a bit after exercise so that was nothing new. Really a great experience and I plan to do more. Next time I'm going to run for team fox (Michael j fox foundation) and try to raise some money.

#2 young_dad

young_dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Congrats! Have you read John Ball's book. I highly recommend it to those with PD who want to exercise. Very inspiring.

#3 metfan31

metfan31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationNorth Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Nice job! You did all us PWP proud.

#4 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thanks everyone.

#5 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hey Prospector,

Congrats on your recent run. Most excellent. I always figured that physcial activity was worth a big handfull of pills. (No side affects either) Actually on second thought there are many side affects: good ones like you may find that you feel more energetic and a happy sense of accomplishment and well being. Unfortunately excercise is not always easy for a Parky. A catch 22 quandry. You want to go for a walk to feel better but you feel so lousy that you can't walk. anyways, do what we can I guess.

Good for you Prospector, keep fighting.

jb
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#6 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thanks jb, I used to hate exercise but now if I miss a day I can tell symptom wise. I'm stiffer and as a result crankier. None of us, I guess, esp those w recent diagnosis, have a clue as to how fast things will progress, so my plan is to get in the best shape of my life before my life won't let me. Now I've just got to cut out the ice cream at 10 pm. That's gonna be tough

#7 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Way to go Prospector! Exercise is king. I'm confident it's helping me feel better than I would otherwise. I've been training for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon on Oct 6. If I didn't have such a big target to hit I don't know if I would have been motivated enough to do as much as I have. But I'm glad I have. I've run farther than I ever have before in my life. I don't think I'll keep up the long distance part after the marathon (I'm still quite a bit more stiff on the right side and after about ten miles, it gets bothersome), but I'll redirect my effort to more diverse and consistent exercise. Your accomplishment is inspiring to me. I hope to be sharing my success soon.

Keep it going Prospector!

#8 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thanks newbob10! Let me say completing a marathon will be a monumental achievement. I ll be cheering for you on oct 6!

#9 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

Today's the day of the Milwaukee lakefront marathon. Raining now but supposed to clear up by race start in 2-1/2 hours. I'm ready!
Cross your fingers for me though just in case :). Thanks!

#10 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hope you ran well!

#11 newbob10

newbob10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

Prospector. Thanks. The last 4 miles were painful, but I met my goal - to finish! Beautiful day, beautiful course, fantastic support (it's so great - they put your first name on your number bib, so there are people cheering you on by name the whole way). I might just have to do it again next year (I can say that now that the pain had gone away). For me, it took that big hairy goal to get me out there exercising regularly. Totally worth it.
Thanks again. Bob.

#12 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

Congratulations, Bob!

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#13 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

That is awesome! Congratulations !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users