• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DianaCarra

DianaCarra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hello I was just diagnosed by the neurologist this week have an upcoming appointment with an MDS. Just have a hand tremor poor sense of smell and reduced arm swing. But over the last year I have lost the ability to write novels and do oil painting. I was constantly writing and painting until 2012 and now my mind is just a vacant lot. Neurologist was non committal when I asked if PD could have caused loss of creativity. I am only 60. Anyone know anything about loss of creativity and PD?

#2 saad

saad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

I am losing a lot more than just creativity. I bump into people and can't remember their names. And I am only 50.
No matter how hard I try to remember names, nothing comes up.
Yesterday, we were at a friend's house. I had my sandals, and found flip flops identical to mine, so I took them and the poor guy ended up going to his house bare feet. This is how forgetful I have become. I don't remember names. I am having a hard time making sense. I would say "busy" when I meant to say "dizzy. I would say "hypostatic othotension" when I meant to say "orthostatic hypotension". I would say "borders and noble" when I meant to say "Barnes and noble". "Crack and barrel" when I meant to say "cracker and barrel".
This is happening more and more.
Creativity is something I have probably lost a very long time ago. I have never been very creative in the first place, except in writing.

#3 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

The mind moves slower and multitasking is history.

Creativity? I still day dream, read, putts around the house, etc. everything is just in slow motion.

Edited by Luthersfaith, 08 September 2013 - 08:00 PM.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#4 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Saad,
"Crack and Barrel" No that funny, I almost shot water out my nose I laughed so hard. I do understand that though, I mentioned on another post, I mix up languages all the time.

Curious is it loss of creativity Diana or loss of interest and focus, my doctor asks every time if I have trouble focusing and interest in doing thing I used to enjoy.

#5 saad

saad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

Donald
Glad you found something funny in my mental confusion.
On a more serious note. These memory issues are now becoming a serious problem. My wife is playing them down, but I am not. I know what's going to happen in the not so far future. I don't want to even think about what this really means. I just hope and pray I am wrong.

#6 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Curious is it loss of creativity Diana or loss of interest and focus, my doctor asks every time if I have trouble focusing and interest in doing thing I used to enjoy.

That's a very good question.
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#7 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Saad,
Hope I didn't offend, the only reason I found it funny is because I have said similar things myself. most rescently I was explaining "the white spots on my hands" to a friend in spanish but I was actually saying "the white spots on my monkeys"

Hands= manos
monkeys= monos

I also have a tremor in my monkeys but that's not what causes the white spots.

#8 JakeL

JakeL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Creativity in my opinion is often a result of pattern recognition, which spurs from connecting disparate pieces of memory and experiences. PD does affect memory, and also impacts our ability to think and connect the dots between our past and present experiences. Sadly, all this will have a negative impact on creativity. There's a really good article I read recently that highlights this phenomenon: http://bit.ly/18K295o

#9 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Diana,

I've been a writer all my life but I had a LOT of trouble stringing an interesting sentence together in the years that I was "sick" prior to being diagnosed. Once I saw the right doctor and started taking levadopa, my creativity bounced back to my former levels, although I can't type a fast or sustain the marathon writing sessions of my past.

Are you taking medication to treat your PD?

#10 saad

saad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

I have always been very good at playing with words. But now the words refuse to come to me. I gave up.
PD is way more than a disease. I would dare to day that it's a curse.
I found myself loathing the songs they play on the radio. I like stuff that's real. I like it when a song touches me very deeply because it means something real.
Maybe PD has a way of showing us the real from the fake. But it seems that the vast majority of people prefer the other songs.
My kids and wife can't stand my types of songs because they are too depressing, I think I like them because they come straight from the heart.
I wish I had done something more with my life. I wish I could go back and correct many mistakes I have made in the past. But I can't. So I have to keep moving.

Edited by saad, 09 September 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#11 DianaCarra

DianaCarra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

Thanks everyone. Vanillab, the neurologist thought it best for me to wait until I see the MDS for medication. You give me real hope that with medication I can bounce back. I miss myself!

#12 catty1

catty1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

Diana, this article supports Vanillab's experience...
http://www.scienceda...30114111622.htm

#13 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I to have simular problems with recalling memory.I did find a way to help it though.

Now I take on one task at a time and dont worry about forgetting anything

>It always come back later..

I  never get upset anymore over much less forgetting trivial things.

Important things go on the calendar.

#14 wheelersce

wheelersce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

I, too, have experienced the vacancy that used to be creativity. But I think the meds have gotten me going again. Trouble is typing. Ugh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users