#1 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

The exchanges go online in October and I was wondering if anyone was going to sign up for insurance through obamacare. Currently I pay $25000 a year for ins for a family of four. Freaking ridiculous. Trust me this not a Cadillac plan either. With my reduced taxable income I'm hoping to get decent coverage for significantly less how much im not sure. I'm not looking for a political debate here just wondering about fellow PWP that don't have coverage or currently buy on the open market. Jeff

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationSeattl, WA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Since I am already on Medicare and Medicaid due to disability, that is a choce I won't have to make. I just wanted to say thanks for being brave enough to be the first one to address the subject!
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 lu states

lu states

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

$25,000 for four....i'm so sorry. that, is an abomination. i'm still getting cobra through my last employer, but at some point that will end. i talked to a lawyer-advocate for medi-care who suggested i sign up. i don't know what that will mean for me. i can no longer work, and when i tried to get relief from medi-cal, it raised my premium $600 a month, as long as i also carried cobra. this would have raised my payment from $400 to $1,000. what kind of sense does that make ? i'm seeing a medi-care advocate on the 19th, and planned to ask about ACA then. if i learn anything of value, for or against, i'll share it. lu

#4 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Jeff,
$25K for 5 people, that's Highway robbery, is this an individual plan or your payments into a group plan?

I have a plan through work, Oboma-care doesn't have as many effects on Group Plans offered through most employers, the real changes come to those of you who have individual policies. The changes that effect my group plan won't effect me as much either as I get my care from the VA and what my insurance doesn't cover is picked up by the VA as I don't meet the VA requirment thresh-hold that requires me to make co-payments. Best of both worlds for me.

The changes can effect my wife and kids however, Once I anm no longer able to work, my health care will still be covered by the VA, my dependent on the other hand are a diffrent story, my wife will most likely need to go back to work at that point if we are to continue carrying health insurance out side of obama-care, or we will need to find a goverment subsidized insurance under Obama-care.

As for the law it's self, it's not a bad thing, unless your an insurance company (I work for one), then it sucks because you can't effectivly rate policies for anything but smoking. It will increase insurance cost for the health, but effectivly decrease cost for the sick that would have been excluded, or rated as a, c or d risk (high risk insurance more expensive then it is worth). If your a small bussiness owner, I recommend looking at Group Coverage as a benefit for you and your employees. (and no I don't sell health insurance I'm a Life Claims Adjuster)

#5 Prospector

Prospector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKy

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Donald, its an individual policy that I'm stuck with currently for my family of 4. No one will insure me if I drop it so I've kept it. I thought ins could not raise your rates above a certain % each year but my last increase was from 1750/mo to 2200/mo. Which actually comes out to 26,400. My rough calculation was low.

#6 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

OK your situation sucks, and is exactly why we now have Obama-care, to keep the insurance companies from raising rates like that.

#7 chelle

chelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationDeep South Louisiana

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

OK your situation sucks, and is exactly why we now have Obama-care, to keep the insurance companies from raising rates like that.

I don't understand the whole obama care thing. We have an individual plan and we currently pay 525 month just for my husband and me. I don't know how this will effect my kids. They have been on medicaid bc blue cross wouldn't cover them with preexisting conditions. They said my son has to be 5 years with out an asthma attack. So I'm nervous about how this will effect us. Seems like we have all been having the same thing on our minds.

#8 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Chelle, beginning in January of 2014 your kids can't be excluded anymore for pre existing conditions. So they should be helped a lot.

My husband has kept a low paying job for longer than we wanted because he was afraid that changing jobs and therefore changing insurance companies would mean that I would be excluded because of my pre existing PD. thanks to Obamacare that stops being an issue at the first of the year and he can start looking for a job that pays what he deserves!

Basically Obamacare helps just about everyone except insurance companies and wealthy healthy people who are self insured but kept their coverage spartan and their deductibles high since they didn't need much healthcare. Everyone else is either unaffected or helped.

Don't believe political scare tactics and gobbly gook...Obamacare is a proven good thing. It's worked in MA for many years.

#9 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

My husband (who has PD) and I have insurance through my employer so we won't be needing the exchanges. My brother-in-law in Nebraska though has been paying over $14,000 a year to be in a high risk medical pool in Nebraska as the only insurance he could get so we are counting the days until he can sign up! If he lived in Arizona where we live, he wouldn't have insurance at all. The state of Nebraska has already sent him a notice that the high risk program will end on December 31st and provided the info he needs for accessing the exchange info. Unfortunately, it has come too late to prevent having to sell part of the farm that has been in the family for well over a 100 years. Fortunately, all of the family members agreed without hesitation last year to sell the portion of the farm so he could pay for his medical insurance this year and beyond. He has myesthenia gravis and other health problems and can only work at a part-time job with no insurance. He has been turned down for SS disability but we are going to try that application again this year. We don't know yet what his new premiums will be but based on the states that have listed amounts, we think it will be cut at least in half and an maybe more.

Obamacare has been good for us, last year, I got a "premium holiday" for several pay periods as the insurance company had too high of profits and had to refund money to my employer. I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago so knowing that I can always get insurance is a real comfort to me.

#10 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationSeattl, WA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Golden 01, have you tried Allsup, the company that helps you get on Social Security Disability?
Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#11 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

No, we went to a SS disability attorney in Nebraska but it wasn't much help. We are considering Allsup. My husband's company used a company called Advantage 2000 that helped us with his application that was approved with delays or appeals. Thanks for the suggestion!

#12 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

I hope Obama care works because there are a lot of deserving people who need help in this area. I am lucky my job covers my health insurance premium 100% my wife and I are locked into this coverage for the rest of our lives. I hope the best for those of you who need better coverage. Too many hard working and deserving Americans get the shaft in this area.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#13 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

Some of us are paying a penalty for Obamacare's existence. In 2012, my insurance costs out of my pocket was 12,000.00 dollars a year, now it's 15,000.00 dollars a year. My co-pays went up and my ability to access some services have become more difficult. It's not all peaches and cream for everyone. I agree that the system needs to be fixed, but it shouldn't be at the expense of us so called wealthy individuals.

Dave

Edited by DaveN, 10 September 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#14 woodbee

woodbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

Golden01,
It's my understanding that if you apply for ssdisability and are rejected you should APPEAL, NOT re-apply.. however by now you may have to re-apply if the time frame to appeal has already passed for your former application.

#15 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Woodbee, You are right but it has been too long. We'll know that this time around.

#16 chelle

chelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationDeep South Louisiana

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thank you for all your comments. ... I hope it all works out. My hus and is a self employed plumber. Our company is still new so we keep up by doing my dads work ( he is self employed plumber to). I can not work and my background is a hair stylist. My tremors have stopped me from doing hair. However I have lucked out in the sence that my dad pays me to do his running in town. We definitely arr not wealthy but not broke either. Maybe that's cause I live such a simple life. As long as we can afford to hunt, fish, and for our kids to do the things they want (skating, movies, ect..) then I feel we are as rich as can be. Family is my everything as I'm sure it is for most people.
My passion would be working with special needs kids but my body won't allow it. Oh well there has to be a reason we are all in these shoes and my faith won't allow me to think otherwise.... hope everyone has a good day!

#17 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Vanillab,

If you are talking about an employee group coverage, that your husband has or will have through his current job or any other job, the pre-existing condition clause will have no effect, as with a group coverage, the insurer has to take the whole group, Meaning all the employees and dependents), or none of them. This idea that you can be excluded from your or your spouses employee health insurance is nothing but a political scare tactic. I'm not against Obamacare, but I am very much against lies being used to manipulate opinion as this one has for so long.

#18 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Vanillab,

Donald is correct. An employer group policy can't exclude you if they're offering joint coverage or family coverage. The restriction would be if the employer only has health insurance for the employee. Tell your husband it's time to go out and get a new job.

Dave

Edited by DaveN, 10 September 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#19 Vanillab1027

Vanillab1027

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

We didn't get that info from scare tactics. We watched it happen to people we knew. Our understanding was that even group coverage through employers can vary by state according to their laws and that there was no guarantee that my PD couldn't be excluded as a pre existing condition.

Nevertheless, it all ends in a couple of months either way. :)

#20 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

https://www.healthcare.gov/ Here's the best site to get the info right from the horse's mouth. I've found the webpages very easy to navigate. In the past, employers could offer a variety of plans with limited coverage. Now they have to provide minimum benefits in all states. State Medicaid programs do have some options and may cover different services. Come January 1, pre-existing conditions have to be covered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users