• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hobey13

Hobey13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I am aware that there are certain non-motor symptoms in PD that can occur prior to the motor symptoms occuring, including constipation, depression, fatigue, REM sleep disorder, and loss of smell. 

Are excess saliva/drooling and dry eyes/lack of blinking considered potential pre-motor symptoms of PD?  Or are those symptoms directly tied to the lack of dopamine that would occur after/concurrently with the onset of motor symptoms?

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

At the moment those symptoms are not considered pre-motor; however not all the pre-motor symptoms have been well-defined.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 Hobey13

Hobey13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

I seem to have unusual symptoms in that I have a 9 hz unilateral orthostatic tremor that I was diagnosed with earlier in the year. Shortly after that I had an extremely dry mouth that spontaneously flipped from me being dry several months ago to excessive saliva; I then had a dat scan that came back normal. Now a few months later I have dry eyes and feel like I am definitely blinking less, but no facial mask. I otherwise feel good (walking/running/athletics/no stiffness) and have been examined by my mds with no other symptoms of PD. I am set up soon to discuss the dry eyes/blinking with my doctor; any other thoughts on what it could be or to discuss with my mds?

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Gosh tjis is a tough one.  With a negative DAT scan it is unlikely Parkinson's.  The dry mouth makes me think of Sjogren's syndrome which your primary care doctor can check a blood test for...

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users