E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Caregivers of Persons with Parkinson’s Disease be part of an Important Parkinson’s disease Study

caregivers research

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I’m sending this message today because I am a nurse researcher dedicated to helping family caregivers and would like to share information about a research study.  The purpose of the study is to explore factors that influence the well-being of caregivers of persons with Parkinson’s disease. The results will help us develop initiatives to assist caregivers.

Your input is important because it offers you an opportunity to be heard. You will help people in the health care field understand your caregiving experiences and find better ways to improve services for you and other caregivers.

Persons eligible to participate need to be 18 years of age or older and need to be currently or previously a caregiver of a living person with Parkinson’s disease.

Anyone interested in being in the study will complete an online survey which will take about 10 minutes. The survey items will include sharing your caregiving experiences (i.e. how you view caregiving) and asking some demographic questions. Your participation is voluntary. All responses will be kept confidential.   

If you are an informal caregiver of a person with Parkinson’s disease and wish to take part in this study or would like more information, please send an email to me, Dr. Maryann Abendroth, nursing faculty at Northern Illinois University, at mabendroth@niu.edu or call at (815) 753-0812. Participants will receive a $10.00 gift for being in the study.

#2 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Hello everyone,

I’m sending this message with added information about my research study about caregivers of persons with Parkinson’s disease.

If any caregiver of a person with Parkinson’s disease is interested in the study I described in my previous post (Oct 1st), you can go directly to the following website to learn about the study and complete the survey.

http://tinyurl.com/2013caregivers

Your input is important because it offers you, as a caregiver, an opportunity to be heard. You will help people in the health care field understand your experiences and find better ways to improve services for you and other caregivers.  

As I mentioned before, you are eligible to participate if you are 18 years of age or older and currently or were previously an informal caregiver of a living person with Parkinson’s disease.

When you click on the above website, there will be a page describing the study and then you will be able to complete an online survey which will take about 10 minutes. The survey items will include sharing your caregiving experiences (i.e. how you view caregiving) and asking some demographic questions. Your participation is voluntary. All responses will be kept confidential. Cargeivers can receive a $10.00 gift for being in the study if they wish.

If you would like to learn more about this project, please email me, Dr. Maryann Abendroth, nursing faculty at Northern Illinois University School of Nursing and Health Studies in DeKalb, Illinois. My email is: mabendroth@niu.edu   My phone is: (815) 753-0812.

Otherwise you can click on the link directly and go to the study site. Thank you for your interest in this important project.

#3 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

Done! Will look forward to the $10. Thank you. 

#4 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

Thank you!

#5 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

Survey was easy to do and I got my $10 already! Recommend other PD caregivers participate. 

#6 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

The survey for caregivers is still open - please consider taking it. Your views and opinions are important to help other caregivers.

Here is the link: 

http://tinyurl.com/2013caregivers

#7 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Done, thank you. :)

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#8 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thank you for taking the survey! 

#9 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

If anyone would like to pass on info about the study to others here is the study link that includes general information and the survey site

http://mabend.tumblr.com/

#10 Link

Link

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

I just did the survey.

#11 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

Thank you for taking the survey. Have a good weekend!

#12 LoveMyHubby

LoveMyHubby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thank you for the $10, arrived quick! Hope my participation helped! :)

Edited by LoveMyHubby, 10 December 2013 - 08:02 PM.

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Revelation 21:4

#13 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'm glad you received it, and yes, your participation helped! We already have 150 caregivers who responded and are hoping for 50 more. If you come across other caregivers who may be interested, please let them know about the study.  Thank you and have a good holiday season.

#14 tracyrose

tracyrose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

I just participated.. one question if I may suggest you adapt .. I am not retired, nor do I work a "full or part-time job".. I am a caregiver.. its a 24 hour a day job..  I am glad to particpate.

#15 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for participating. I appreciate the recommendation and agree that caregiving is a 24 hour a day job. I had been a caregiver for my mom years ago. Have a good New Year!

#16 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Dear Caregivers,

I wanted to thank you for participating in the study of caregivers of persons with Parkinson's disease. There are now enough participants so, I've closed the link to the survey. We will begin to anlyze the responses and come up with some conclusions.  If anyone has any questions about the study please email me at   mabendroth@niu.edu    

Your participation was appreciated!

Maryann Abendroth, Ph.D., RN

Northern Illinois University School of Nursing & Health Studies

#17 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Will you please post when your results are published? Looking forward to seeing your research in print!

#18 mabendroth

mabendroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Yes I will let post the outcome of this study when the results are published. 

In the meantime, I published an article in January from another study related to caregivers of persons with Parkinson's disease. Here is the reference and a summary.

Abendroth, M., Greenblum, C.A., & Gray, J.A. (2014). The value of peer-led support groups among caregivers of persons with Parkinson’s disease. Holistic Nursing Practice, 28(1), 48-54. DOI 10.1097/HNP.0000000000000004.

Summary: Many persons with Parkinson’s disease are cared for by family members. The strain of caregiving can negatively affect the health of the caregiver and affect long-term care decisions, making caregiver support a priority. This study highlights the importance of peer-led support groups for family caregivers of persons with Parkinson’s  disease.The findings revealed four themes (illness uncertainty, broken connections, intimate connections, and a lifeline to other caregivers) that characterized the process of experiencing peer-led support groups.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: caregivers, research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users