#1 hercules957

hercules957

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Male, 56, diagnosed PD Apr 2013.  PD symptoms are a nuisance for now.  Not on meds.  I believe in neuroplasticity and will let the brains adapt as long as I can live with the symptoms before taking meds.  I exercise 4t/w, 2t/w I do high intensity interval training (20 min max heart rate) 2t/w I do weights.  I also do stretches for shoulders and neck 2t/day.  In addition, I try walking for 30 min+ daily as I read that walking is critical. Question: is interval training too aggressive for PD patient? I experience fatigue and 50% of the time I really have to kick myself to get on with it. 

Norman

Dx 04/2013 at Age 56, No meds for 1yr. Now Sinemet 1 1/2 100/25 3t/d.

Main symptoms: Left side tremors, bradykinesia, fine motor skills problems, apathy, anxiety, swallowing problems.

Sinemet lifted the gloom and reduced all my symptoms, small tremors persist.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Many people "overdo" exercise and this can be detrimental.  I would recommend getting your heart rate up, but adopting a regimen that does not leave you fatigued.  You should feel good after exercising,

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

I agree. I was told by my MDS to back off a little and I feel much better for doing so. I still do weights 4X per week, try to squeeze in some yoga everyday and cardio 3X per week. Even after backing off some I still feel as strong benched 310 # and did 22 pull ups last week. I am on the Neupro patch 8 mg and sinemet 25/100 3x per day. 43 YOA male diagnosed February of 2012.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the comment.  Think you may be exercising too much with Parkinson's disease...you may need to back off.  Here is some information for you:  http://parkinsonsecr...biking-exercise

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life

#5 hercules957

hercules957

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the advice. Brad24, I wish I could do half of what you do for training.  You show great dedication.

Norman

Dx 04/2013 at Age 56, No meds for 1yr. Now Sinemet 1 1/2 100/25 3t/d.

Main symptoms: Left side tremors, bradykinesia, fine motor skills problems, apathy, anxiety, swallowing problems.

Sinemet lifted the gloom and reduced all my symptoms, small tremors persist.

#6 StrkL

StrkL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

In my experience (diagnosed with Parkinson’s 2007 at age 57; first symptom tremor in 2002; runner from 1965-2005; now exercise 40-50 min daily walking, exercise bike at 90+ rpm, elliptical, weights), you should feel pleasantly fatigued, or invigorated, after exercise, but not exhausted.  And even if you really push yourself, and feel quite tired, you should feel essentially normal after half an hour or so. 

For me, exercise that is strenuous, but not exhausting, is the happy medium.  One way to determine yours is to track your on time.  I find that if I miss a couple of days of exercise, my medications don’t work nearly as well. The more I exercise, the better I do – up to a point. Then I start taking longer to come on the morning, and have more off time during the day.

If you really want to challenge yourself occasionally, and push to exhaustion, I recommend doing that only once every week or two. And then only if you can do so safely.  And be sure to take two or three easy days after a “challenge day”.  You should be able to readily see how this affects your on time.

Over a year or two, workouts that you find exhausting today should eventually become manageable (not necessarily easy), and not reduce your on time.

StrkL

#7 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

Do you have any suggestions of what area I need to back off in? My MDS told me to try and keep work outs 30 min and under. The yoga I do is pretty much to warm up before my weights or cardio. I usually do not max out like I stated in my last post. I was just trying to see where I stood in strength that week. I almost exclusively do lighter weights now with more reps. Prior to PD I was doing a lot of heavy weights and long distance running. I had a lot higher max weight on my bench, squat and dead lift.
DETERMINATION "In the heart of the strong shines a relentless ray of resolve...It cannot be stopped, it cannot be controlled, and it will not fail."

#8 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

The best is to construct a regimen with your doctor and physical therapist- a regimen that fits you and your needs.  This needs to be done in person and it should include physical assessments and also feedback from you.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#9 Brad24

Brad24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Ok thanks that's pretty much what I have done. I am seeing a PT this week to make sure I don't forget any muscles.

#10 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Terrific!

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Exercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users