#1 AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

How do you keep fit,workout or just keep moving ?

we just moved states and it's time to get back on a fitness program. 

I love riding a bike,on the road or at home.

Myself i started to ride at least 15 miles a day 7 days a week and will step up 5 miles a day every few weeks.

This month i've clocked up 470 miles,when i can't sleep i add a few miles on the bike.

Interested to hear what everyone else does, a little or a lot it doesn't matter as long as we keep moving.

#2 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

My husband was diagnosed with PD eight years ago. While I agree any exercise is good, what has really made a difference for him is PD-specific exercises like the "BIG" or "BIG and LOUD LVST" (he did BIG training) and PWR! Moves. His symptoms are usually noticeably reduced when he does those type of exercises. He also rides a bike, pole walks, hikes, etc. We are planning to convert one of our bedrooms into a mini-gym for him with a treadmill and recumbent stationary bike. He does a lot of balance and "agility" exercises. Right now, he has been sidelined a bit with a back problem and his PD symptoms are much worse. He is anxious to get back to his regular exercise routines.  Next year, he will go for his third "retreat" offered by the Parkinson Wellness Recovery (PWR!) non-profit organization. Find out more about the "exercise as medicine" philosophy at http://www.pwr4life.org/. You can look for clinicians trained in your area through one of the tabs on the website. Look for "Find a PWR! Expert" at the top of the page. 

#3 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

I noticed I feel better when I get more exercise . So we bought a recumbent bike . I thought it would be easier to keep my balance on. Someone told me there are apps of different cities which you can pedal through. We have an extra room which we will use for exercise . It's on the side of the house so I can sit and watch traffic as I pedal. We may get a treadmill also. Just the fact that I feel better makes it worth while.
<3.<3.<3.

#4 markjlyon

markjlyon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, California

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hi--

I have found that exercise is so important in living with PD. For me, it's primarily paddling my surfski. I live in San Diego and paddle 4-5x per week, either on the bay or, if I'm feeling adventurous, in the surf. Surfski is great for exercise, balance, and simply moving. And there's nothing like the ocean for giving you a sense of perspective.

I also love cycling, but I am limited by exercise-induced dystonia in my left foot. Any kind of walking, running, or cycling can bring it on and cripple me.

Best of luck to you.

--Mark

#5 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Way to go, Mark!

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#6 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

Our son lives in Hawaii and is an avid paddle boarder. My husband is working on his balance exercises so he can paddle board when we go to Hawaii early next year.

#7 Anna G

Anna G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

I have benefitted from the exercise classes "Delay the Disease.  The classes are offered at a local Family Y.  I know you can get videos, too.  The program is Parkinsons specific and the exercises address balance, posture, coordination among others.  I recommend anyone who is looking for an exercise program to check it out.  Not only has it helped me physically, the participants end up supporting each other and being a community.  You can learn more here: http://delaythedisease.com/  

And no, I am not a paid spokesperson, just someone the program has helped.

#8 lazlo

lazlo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

I also cycle a lot, both on my single and on a tandem with my wife.  The Brian Grant Foundation sponsors a boot camp class called Powering Forward, I do that twice a week.  I also do a yoga class and tai chi.  It all helps in different ways.  Mark, I envy you being in San Diego and being able to paddle in (relatively) warm water.  I'm in Portland; used to paddle marathon canoes and outrigger, but got burned out racing.  Tried surfski, but never got the hang of it, I guess I need training wheels.  Paddling is recommended for PD, for balance and core strength.  I miss it and need to make time for that, too.  I'm wondering if anyone else gets regular massage treatment?  I get both Shiatsu and Traeger work done regularly, and it helps loosen things up.

#9 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Il have to try paddling. I could keep a canoe or surfski down by my boat at the yacht club.Walking for me is bad becuse I have a bad subtailer joint when i broke my heel twenty years ago.The nordic trac ski machine is good becase the foot never leaves the ski and there is no side movement.I have sort of gotten lazy lately with exercise and it shows with reduced flexability and ridgity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users