#1 EugeneS

EugeneS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

Dear Dr.Okun

I am 63 years old man diagnosed with PD in 2009, currently on Sinemet (25/100*1.5*3) and Contam (200*3). Recently my PD has developed new symptom that I can call as “sucking mouth” – muscles of lips and checks are stressed like mouth is trying to suck something.

I had already this symptom in past when tried to take Requip, but it had disappeared when I stopped Requip and switched to Sinemet. Now it returned back and even is still sometimes during the “on” time.

I can’t find any sufficient information about this symptom and possible ways to treat it (just increase Sinemet ?). I can only reference to this article http://www.ncbi.nlm....v/books/NBK395/  without any provided recommendations.

I will be very appreciated for any advice.

Thank you,

Eugene

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

Sucking movements of the mouth in Parkinson's disease are most likely dyskinesia.  If dyskinesia sometimes reducing the sinemet dose and increasing the number of intervals can address this issue.  Also, stopping Comtan or adding amantadine can be helpful.  There is usually a solution if you work through this with your neurologist.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users