Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi Kathrynne,

I know we have had a conversation regarding magnesium(I couldn't find our previous note)
I have been taking 250 mg. of mag oxide.

Anyway, I came across this from 2010 from Dr. Mercola,

Magnesium threonate is a newer, emerging type of magnesium supplement that appears promising, primarily due to its superior ability to penetrate the mitochondrial membrane, and may be the best magnesium supplement on the market,

Another article regarding theronate:

Jan. 27, 2010 -- Having trouble remembering where you left your keys? Forgot the name of an acquaintance?

A new study suggests that increasing your intake of magnesium, an essential mineral found in dark leafy vegetables and certain fruits, beans, and nuts, may help combat memory lapses associated with aging.

In the study, published Jan. 28 in Neuron, neuroscientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Tsinghua University in Beijing found that increasing brain magnesium using a newly developed compound, magnesium-L-threonate (MgT), improves learning abilities, working memory, and short- and-long-term memory in rats. The magnesium also helped older rats perform better on a battery of learning tests.

“This study not only highlights the importance of a diet with sufficient daily magnesium, but also suggests the usefulness of magnesium-based treatments for aging-associated memory decline,” one of the study’s authors, Susumu Tonegawa, says in a news release. Tonegawa works at MIT’s Picower Institute for Learning and Memory.

Although the experiments were conducted in rats, the results have implications for humans, the researchers say.

Half of the population of the industrialized world has a magnesium deficiency, researcher Guosong Liu says in the release. “If MgT is shown to be safe and effective in humans, these results may have a significant impact on public health.”

Liu and his colleagues at MIT developed MgT after discovering in 2004 that magnesium might enhance learning and memory. Liu is co-founder of Magceutics, a California-based company that develops drugs for the prevention and treatment of age-related memory decline and Alzheimer’s disease.

Magnesium for Better Memory

The researchers examined how MgT stimulates changes in synapses, the junctions between neurons that are important in transmitting nerve signals.

They found that in young and old rats, MgT increased plasticity, or strength, among synapses and promoted the density of synapses in the hippocampus, a part of the brain that plays important roles in spatial navigation and long-term memory.

Other experiments performed within the study found that MgT treatment boosted memory recall under partial information conditions in older rats but had no effect in young rats. Aging causes dramatic declines in the ability to recollect memories when incomplete information is provided, the authors write.

“Because [magnesium] is an essential ion for normal cellular functions and body health, many physiological functions are impaired with the reduction of body [magnesium],” they write. The researchers cite that only 32% of Americans get the recommended daily allowance of magnesium.

The researchers conclude that the study provides “evidence for a possible causal relationship between high [magnesium] intake and memory enhancements in aged rats.” They also call for further studies to investigate the relationship between dietary magnesium intake, body and brain magnesium levels, and cognitive skills.

Breakthrough magnesium supplement for mental sharpness-
Developed by MIT researchers, with 7 patents pending
Only form of magnesium shown to cross the blood-brain barrier to promote optimum levels within the brain
Magnesium L-Threonate featuring Magtein™ promotes healthy neuronal activity for the support of healthy cognitive functions like recall, learning, decision making and spatial recognition. Traditional solutions for cognitive support involve stimulating the neurons to promote peak brain function. But over time, this can lead to burnout and have the opposite effect. New Magnesium L-Threonate works differently. Its patented form of magnesium nourishes the brain to help hold neurons in a state of relaxed readiness, facilitating the free exchange of electrical impulses that transfer information and keep our minds sharp and clear. Preliminary research suggests great potential for this new magnesium—the only form known to readily cross the blood-brain barrier and function within the brain. Animal studies have shown benefits for learning, memory and even mood.

Your thoughts on Threonate vs citrate, oxide or all 3? And is there a benefit from the threnontae due to it breaking through the blood bank barrier?

As always I appreciate your expertise!
karen
Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

My thinking is that it is premature to recommend magnesium-L-threonate. Normally, magnesium levels in the brain are tightly controlled, so although an increase may be desirable, it is difficult to achieve. Magnesium-L-threonate is a compound developed specifically to bypass the body's controls, elevating magnesium levels in the brain and helping to improve learning and relieve cognitive deficits such as dementia.

But it is a relatively new compound, and no human trials have been conducted to date. Until it is proven safe, I would be very cautious of any substance that can bypass the body's natural safety barriers and enter the brain.

Magnesium sulfate, oxide, and citrate are excellent forms which, while they do not elevate levels in the brain, are very good for other purposes, such as helping to lower blood pressure, and treating constipation, cardiac arrhythmia and Type 2 diabetes. I would stick with these until magnesium-L-threonate is proven safe and effective in humans.

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#3 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thank you Kathrynne,
I always appreciate and trust your expertise! I'll stay with the other magnesiums.

Have a nice Healthy Organic Thanksgiving!

Karen
Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users