E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS)?

UPDRS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PatriotM

PatriotM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Does anyone know if there is a "key" to describe what the total UPDRS score indicates?  I looked at an online UPDRS calculator at http://tools.farmaco...x.php?sid=11767 and my result was 42.  It says that 0 is no disability and 199 is the worst disability, but doesn't elaborate further.

Before someone points it out, yes - I know that only a qualified neurologist can properly evaluate a patient and assign them a proper number.

#2 metfan31

metfan31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNorth Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

I ranked myself and found I was a 41, which considering my answers and the fact I can function, I'm going to guess anything below 75 is barely disabled if at all.

#3 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

That was kind of fun !! LOL! Mine was 54! My motor score was 38! Ha! Anyone else care to compete?

I strongly disagree with metfan! Any MOTOR updrs score greater than 35 is bad news! So, I can only guess we probably mis-calculated our scores ? ? (or at least I hope so...LOL)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2679966/

"PD subjects were divided into three groups: 1) mild PD (motor UPDRS score 20 or below), 2) moderate PD (motor UPDRS score from 21 to 35), and 3) severe PD (motor UPDRS score greater than 35)".

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#4 PatriotM

PatriotM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Christie and Metfan, were your scores while on PD meds?  Would the score change if off PD meds?

FWIW, my motor score was 24.

#5 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

I fall in the mild zone with a total score of 37 and a motor score of 20.  Where's the test for my Neuropathy?

Dave

#6 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

OK I went to the site completed everything as best I copuld and got a 69 (no snickering from the peanut gallery please). Now I'm not sure what this means. I'm still pretty functional I think. I really don't have a known basis for comparison.

Guess I will have to discuss this with my neurologist next week when I go see him.

Edited by Donald Ennis, 22 November 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#7 PatriotM

PatriotM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

(snicker, snicker and twisting the ends of their curly-cue mustaches)

I don't know what it really means either Don, but it's kind of interesting.  Obviously, it's also somewhat subjective.

Edited by PatriotM, 22 November 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#8 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

OK I went to the site completed everything as best I copuld and got a 69 (no snickering from the peanut gallery please).

hohoho....(couldn 't help it Don, sorry...LOL)...so, Donald is ahead with 69 points. Christie right behind him with 54.

Game still on guys!! Let's see what you've got !!! LOL!!

PS: Scores while on PD meds ONLY!! And no cheating please...Awards will be given for the first three places, including a high tech DBS remote control!!!

Edited by christie, 22 November 2013 - 09:15 AM.

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#9 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

PS: Scores while on PD meds ONLY!! And no cheating please...Awards will be given for the first three places, including a high tech DBS remote control!!!

Yea and who gets to hold the controller? I don't think I want a remote controlled DBS if my wife can up the voltage at will.

#10 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Since I have the lowest score so far (wish my golf score was like this), I'll hold the remote.  So be nice.

Edited by Daven, 22 November 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#11 afroney

afroney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

My MDS rated my motor score at 37 during my last visit. He said that is moderate to advanced Parkinson's. He was pretty impressed that I was still working.

Kind of depressing since I'm only 28.

#12 PatriotM

PatriotM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

I didn't know there was going to be a prize.  It seems that I made a math error on my test (cough, cough) and my correct score is 69 1/2.

#13 metfan31

metfan31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

That was kind of fun !! LOL! Mine was 54! My motor score was 38! Ha! Anyone else care to compete?

I strongly disagree with metfan! Any MOTOR updrs score greater than 35 is bad news! So, I can only guess we probably mis-calculated our scores ? ? (or at least I hope so...LOL)

.[/i]

So sorry my opinion was only based on my own exp and my ability to function regardless of my obstacles. So like all things PD we all handle it differently I must confess I was approaching 'off' when I took the test. Just retook it now and got a 36 so perhaps a 43 would difficult if that was the best I get when medicated as off periods be subsiquently worse... anyway this was fun to put a score on my PD, so much so I did it twice. How do you get a motor score?

And in case I haven't said it enough, I do not pretend to be an expert here, I am very much a begginner here, and anything I say is based on opinion and expierence. I will repeat what I have read and been told at times but normally state my sorce when I do so. Just using this forum as an avenue to get other peoples insight and share my own opinion. Remember opinions are like butt holes we all have them and people rarely care to see someone elses without requesting to first (yes that sounds like an odd request). This said my butt hole on the matter of score is that regardless of what any expert thinks you are only as disabled as you think you are, no matter the score. I went to high school with a young man who was wheel chair bound his entire life, had to use hand padles to drive a car, yes experts deemed him disabled and he used handicap parking and other assistance, but there was nothing I could do that he could not (besides walk) and he could kick my @$$ in a fight if it came down to it. He never let anyone call him disabled or handicapped, and refused help for anything he could do on his own. So with him as an example growing up yeah I believe disability is a state of mind, and not so easily defined by a panel of doctors.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Richard

#14 metfan31

metfan31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

OK I went to the site completed everything as best I copuld and got a 69 (no snickering from the peanut gallery please). Now I'm not sure what this means. I'm still pretty functional I think. I really don't have a known basis for comparison.

Guess I will have to discuss this with my neurologist next week when I go see him.

I promise I did not laugh until you said no snickering and thought about why your score would be funny, not that I've never thought that way but just wasn't at the moment. Monty Python said it best, but I'll leave it to others to look up what that means if they wish to follow me into the gutter... lol

#15 Donald Ennis

Donald Ennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

I am I huge Monty Python fan,

#16 metfan31

metfan31

Advanced Member