#201 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Fred, I did read the thread from the beginning, which is why I said it was interesting. I will say that I am following the advice of my Dr (Dr Okun, btw) who I trust as an expert, and know that he will advise me on the best route to take. I assume that if something comes along that sounds especially promising, he will suggest I try it. I WILL try some natural things maybe, on my own, provided they are not too off the wall (like freeze dried Yak lips), but I'm not gonna push anyone to give me an rx...........yet..........

Diagnosed 7/14 by a DatScan. Currently only display a right hand/arm tremor. Beginning Azilect 8/6/2014

#202 MrFritz

MrFritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Hi PatriotM and Musicman,

Yes, Ursodiol is a 100% failure in that is does not replace one's PD medications. But you failed to see what and why I took it. To quote from the original article in Science Daily (see http://www.scienceda...30903123524.htm):

==========

Experts from the world leading Sheffield Institute for Translational Neuroscience (SITraN) conducted a large scale drugs trial in the lab using skin cells from people with this progressive neurological condition which affects one in every 500 people in the UK. The researchers tested over 2,000 compounds to find out which ones could make faulty mitochondria work normally again. Mitochondria act as the power generators in all cells of our body, including the brain. Malfunctioning mitochondria are one of the main reasons why brain cells die in Parkinson's. One of the promising medications identified though the research is a synthetic drug called ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA).

==========

So, let me restate why I take UDCA and what it does for me. And, if Jenny doesn't mind adding to the conversation, she can tell you what it did/does for her. But please give her a few hours since it's early morning in Au.

I take UDCA to 1) rejuvenate any dormant (dying) neurons in my brain and 2) to prevent future neuronal death.

Did it work for me? The short answer is yes.

Within 36 hours of starting 600mg of UDCA, all of my tremors ceased. Conclusion: Increased dopamine production due to the rejuvenation of my dormant/dying neurons. Those neurons that are dead will forever remain dead. Therefore, I still need to take Sinemet to replace their loss.

Prior to starting UDCA, I felt my condition (tremors) growing worse day-by-day. I have been on UDCA since October 16, 2013. I'm still tremor free and I am still taking the same amount of medication. Conclusion: UDCA has significantly slowed or halted my PD's progression.

In addition: I have read a number of other studies that used TUDCA instead of UDCA and suggested similar results. TUDCA is sold throughout the US as a health food supplement. No prescription required. You can even order it via Amazon.

Just a note: If UDCA works for you, then the sooner you start taking it, the better your condition will remain. If it doesn't work for you, then simply stop taking it. No harm done.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I truly don't mind rehashing things.

Fred

P.S. for Musicman:

The researcher in Sheffield, England who did the original study in "Brain" that I referenced is Dr. Oliver Bandmann MD, PhD. Drop his name into Google if you want to know more about him. I think his credentials will speak for themselves.

Edited by MrFritz, 06 August 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#203 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Interesting, (although not about PD)

http://web.stanford....oxycholic-acid/

and this, related to PD

http://www.sciencepo...-and-mitophagy/

Edited by musicman, 06 August 2014 - 05:34 PM.

Diagnosed 7/14 by a DatScan. Currently only display a right hand/arm tremor. Beginning Azilect 8/6/2014

#204 MrFritz

MrFritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

So now you are becoming knowledgeable on the subject matter of this thread. I honestly hope that your eyes are beginning to open. As I have said before, G_d helps those who help themselves.

Fred

#205 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

All I am saying is that it is interesting. I like looking into things. I don't poo-poo what I don't know anything about. Neither do I jump on board.

#206 she-ra

she-ra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Regarding simvastin, here is a more recent article that quotes Dr.. Okun.  http://www.webmd.com...risk-study-says

Sheila ^_^

#207 MrFritz

MrFritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thanks Sheila. Now I know that I don't have to change to Simvastatin. But, neither of them helped to prevent my PD.

Fred

#208 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

This was a very interesting article   http://www.scienceda...30903123524.htm

I don't see how taking TUDCA as a supplement could hurt anything, and they may find that it actually helps. It's over the counter and is very well tolerated. Might be good for someone like me that is newly diagnosed with very limited symptoms. The question would be, at what dose will it be of any possible benefit? No one knows THAT.....

"The results of the ground breaking study are published in the leading Neuroscience journal BRAIN.

Dr Kieran Breen, Director of Research and Innovation at Parkinson's UK commented: "This is a really exciting time for Parkinson's research. For the first time, we are starting to identify drugs that will treat the Parkinson's -- possibly slow down or halt its progression -- rather than just the symptoms.

"This will bring us closer to our ultimate goal of a cure for Parkinson's. We look forward to working closely with Dr Bandmann to develop this treatment."

#209 MrFritz

MrFritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Musicman,

Welcome to my ongoing experiment. I'm very glad to see that you're reading, thinking and have an open mind. Starting from my very first post, I have provided links to studies that corroborate what I have been saying. I have also been 100% truthful about my condition and what UDCA has done for me. I'm also careful to separate fact from conjecture.

Two other forum members have tried UDCA with results similar to mine. They posted their stories within this thread. Sadly, one of them ceased taking UDCA claiming headaches as a side effect. He stopped and the headaches ceased. The other is still on UDCA (Urso). A few others have communicated with me privately and may post their stories at sometime in the near future. I do respect their privacy.

UDCA and TUDCA are almost one in the same. Both are used for identical purposes. There are no human studies or clinical trials for PD. For PD, the only studies are on mice or skin cells. However, I read enough in the study published in Brain to decide that I wanted to try Ursodiol. There's no need for me to reiterate my story again.

I believe that that both UDCA and TUDCA have the same suggested dosages. What I can tell you is that I started with 600mg (300mg 2x/day) of UDCA and had great results. Only when I experimented with stopping my PD meds did I find that 1200mg (300mg 4x/day) provided me with an additional benefit. So I have remained on 1200mg. Jenny in Au started at 1,000mg (250 4x/day) and has remained at that level. My recommendation is to start at 500-600mg and then, if tolerated, go up to the "standard" dosage (1200-1500mg). Do not even consider stopping or reducing any of your current PD medications. All 3 of us who have tried this have met with failure.

As for who should or should not try this regimen, nobody knows. However, if it is slowing or stopping PD's progression, then the sooner one starts, the better. Those with more advanced PD may benefit too. Again, if it does not help you or if you do have a side effect, simply stop taking it. As for PD drug interactions with UDCA, I couldn't find any.

Fred

#210 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Fred, I'm doubtful that I would ask my Dr to write an off label rx for something, but I may try an over the counter supplement. Oddly enough, I think UDCA (rx) and TUDCA are the same thing. Maybe that's why your dr didn't have a big problem with it. I agree with others here that NO doctor should willy-nilly give you an rx just cos you asked for it. I'm surprised your dr didn't just say to you to get the TUDCA otc from somewhere, rather than take a risk like that. In any event, glad it helped you and who knows.....I may try TUDCA. I mean, WTH?

#211 MrFritz

MrFritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Although UDCA & TUDCA are very similar, they are not the same. However, for our use, you may be correct. As to why one requires a prescription and the other doesn't is senseless in my opinion especially considering how harmless these products are. Anyway, the first thing we learn about PD is that everyone's PD is different. So what works for one may or may not work for others.

If you do take the plunge, check the label carefully before buying to be sure that you are getting pure TUDCA without any other added ingredients. Many of the supplements do have other ingredients. You may want to check out Amazon. As for dosage, I think my recommendations are sound.

Please take careful notes and, good or bad, please let everyone know your results. Thanks & good luck.

Fred

P.S. - Don't be going off or on your Azilect while trying TUDCA. It may only confuse the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users