9 replies to this topic

#1 Oakman

Oakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Started taking Azilect 8 months ago and, as my doctor warned, my joints stiffened for the first couple months and then improved. However, I never have noticed any benefit and it is a very expensive drug. Has anyone noticed any benefits from taking Azilect? 

Edited by Oakman, 07 December 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#2 MrFritz

MrFritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

When I was first diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago, I was reluctant to start taking Sinemet. So, my doctor prescribed Azilect. Although I still take it to this day in addition to my other meds, I have not noticed any benefit. It is supposed to slow down the progression of the disease. It is not meant to control your tremors. That is what Sinemet is for.

Yes, it is very expensive. I get mine from the VA so my cost is only $27 for a 90 day supply. If I had to pay the regular price, I would have stopped taking it a long time ago. Neither my civilian nor my VA neurologists thinks it does much (if anything) but, they don't recommend that I stop taking it.

#3 young_dad

young_dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

I started taking it in 2006 as part of the drug study about 6 months after I was diagnosed.  I was dragging my right foot at the time and tripping on it at times.  A couple weeks after taking Azilect, the foot dragging stopped.  I've been taking it ever since.  Granted, for 5 of the past 7 years, I've gotten it for free as part of the original drug study and subsequent ones, but it now costs me $60 for a 90 day supply.

#4 Beachdog

Beachdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationCape Cod Massachusetts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

I never got much symptomatic relief from Azile$t and the case for neuroprotectivity  has not been demonstrated enough to make the claim.  My brain doc wants me to go back on it suggesting it will heighten the on time and lessen the off time.  The stuff is crazy $$S so I'm not sure I'm ready to take the plunge again.

#5 walkingbyfaith

walkingbyfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

Young_dad, where do you get Azilect for $30 a month?  My husband has been on Azilect for the last five years and we have been able to get the drug free through Teva's financial aid program.  However, I now make enough money that in about six months we will no longer qualify for this program. My husband is going to be devastated.  I can't see that Azilect provides any symptomatic relief but my husband has great confidence in its neuroprotective qualities.  Even with our insurance, this med will cost over $300 a month and there is no way we can afford that.

Walking By Faith

#6 young_dad

young_dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

It's basically the price of drugs on my insurance plan.  I have Blue Shield of California and my copay on mail order through PrimeMail is $60 for a 90 day supply.  I was very lucky when I changed companies this year that my health costs actually went down, at my previous job it cost $170 for a 3 month supply.  I saw on Costco's website that it costs $490 without insurance, and I'd probably not continue if it was costing me $300.  I'd look at mail order options with your insurance as this saves me $120 every three months for the cost of Azilect would be the same for a one month supply as it is for three months.

#7 Gwilsond

Gwilsond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

Good evening all. My first post. I was diagnosed and began taking Azilect in March 2013 and it has helped me greatly - 80+% of head and chin tremors gone with no side effects. I'm also feeling less stressed at work, yet still as busy, so i think it might be the Azilect - and thinking clearer. I've forgotten to take it only a few days and within a day the tremors return, so I know it's working for me. Just turned 60 in October and hoping it will help for a long time! Wondering if anyone else is experiencing positive results and for how long? Also wanted to add that there is a coupon program available through the manufacturer and I've only paid $15 per mo. With with coupon. Although, I think it may only last for a year.

Edited by Gwilsond, 29 December 2013 - 12:13 AM.

#8 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think it works better for newbies.  My mom's doctor switched her from Mirapex to Azilect and it was a big mistake.

#9 deborah

deborah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

I've been taking azilect 1 mg for 3 years.  It helped at first with all my symptoms for about 6 months then had to start taking sinemet.  I think that the medical profession thinks that it helps.  My dr. is a big sinemet person and it was my suggestion that i start taking Azilect but she wants me to stay on it so I think she is impressed with how it is working with me.  She says that my pd is not that bad (I think it is - I take 6 sinemet a day, plus azilect and a neuro patch) but maybe she thinks the Azilect helps.  Maybe she thinks I have the flat pasta type of pd which I hope I do and I stay like this for a long time and don't get worse!!!  I'll take lasagna!!!

#10 smalltownguy

smalltownguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationnorthwest Ohio

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

My neurologist told me they had seen 1/3 no result, 1/3 some result, 1/3 major result from azilect.  Fortunately for me it was a major help and instrumental in being able to significantly reduce my use of Requip which had created a compulsiveness nightmare for me. Am still on it 6 years later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users