#1 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

I looked up the definition awhile ago .It said parkinsonism is roughly three groups.One is primary meaning hereditary,idopathic meaning parkinson disease,and atypical for all the other parkinson look alikes.

has anyone come accross in there travels  unraveling the diagnosis.This came about because i was diagnosed for the disease but also parkinsonism.

#2 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

Good question, I have inquired as well. The responses I've received are as clear as mud....

Sorry, maybe someone else has a clearer understanding.

Karen
Karen

Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#3 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

My understanding of this is that Parkinsons is the idiopathic type. Parkinsonism refers to all the variants and is sometimes used by the MDS when it is unclear which type the patient has. In my own case, I was first diagnosed with Parkinsons, a year later she
changed it to Parkinsonism because I was having some symptoms that were pointing toward an atypical type. After some time passed, sheis now convinced that it is Parkinsons. Someone correct me if I don't have this right.

Gardener, female, 59, diagnosed at 55, 600 mg of Sinemet daily, 1 mg Azilect

#4 PatriotM

PatriotM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Parkinsonism is a term that refers to Parkinson symptoms.  If the symptoms are caused by a diminished level of dopamine in the substantia nigra, then the Parkinsonism is being caused by Parkinson's disease.  If the symptoms are not caused by the diminished level of dopamine in the substantia nigra, then the Parkinsonism is caused by something else, like medications, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users