7 replies to this topic

#1 Half yuman

Half yuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationYuma AZ

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hello. I was diagnosed about two months ago but believe to have had Parkinson's disease for about five years. My defining symptom evidently is the pill rolling tremor that never stops unless I'm a sleep now. I have had severe back pain in my upper and lower back for several years. It sometimes goes down one leg or the other. Sometimes it is a twisting pain And my back locks up. My neuro says that this severe pain is not from the Parkinson's And that I must have fibromyalgia as well. My question is if you had a lot of pain before starting meds for Parkinson's did those meds help with the pain?

#2 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Yes.  My pain from dystonia was substantially reduced by Sinemet.  

#3 lu states

lu states

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

my pain is helped by advil, norco ( when it is bad...bad ), and soma ( only take when i take norco ).....a combo if you will.  the pain i get from RLS is relieved by mirapex.   i too, have fibromyalgia....i am certain.   the med for that was not generic last time i checked, so i rejected it.   something will help your pain....good luck

#4 Half yuman

Half yuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationYuma AZ

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Advil and NSAIDs gave me a perforated ulcer last year so I can no longer take them. I take narcotics for the pain and xanex for RLS. He put me on Savella For the Fibromyalgia which help the pain quite a bit but it raised my blood pressure and made me very nervous so I had to cut back on that. I see MDS in Phoenix in a couple of weeks so I'm really hoping he'll understand the pain issue better. What is Soma?

#5 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

I've never heard of Fibromyalgia causing severe back pain that travels down a leg (sciactic pain). Sounds more like a herniated disk.
I have herniations in both my lower and cervical spine and have severe pain on occasion. The PD meds have lessened the episodes and I'm
guessing that it is because they are lessening the rigidity and other symptoms that may have triggered spasms.

#6 Appala

Appala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, California

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

When it comes to pain, in my experience it's hard to distinguish what's caused by PD & what's caused by something else, like spine issues, and whether the 2 are related & if so which one is causal to the other.  See my recent Open Forum post (which I also put in the Pharmacist & Doctor forums):

http://forum.parkins...umbar-stenosis/

When I was diagnosed 7 years ago, one of my longstanding upper back pains went away when I took Sinemet, but low back pain & sciatica got worse, recent MRI showed severe lumbar stenosis (canal narrowing pinching nerves), so surgery is now scheduled. Surgeon said it was not PD-related at all, but I think  the jury's out.

#7 afroney

afroney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yes. My pain from dystonia was substantially reduced by Sinemet.

Same here. Night and day difference. I was in constant pain before diagnosis. Now I only have ocassional pain.

#8 lu states

lu states

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:16 AM

half yuman : soma is a mild, i think very mild, muscle relaxer.  i take it with norco (  sort of like vicodan?? ) when my leg and back pain are VERY bad.  otherwise, just advil and the cramping relief i get from mirapex.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pain, Medications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users