#1 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Lately I've become very forgetful. Example.......we have a birthday party Saturday and I keep forgetting the time it starts. I screw up doctor appts. Example........had appt with my accountant Tuesday. I thought it was 11:30 and wrote 11:30 on my calendar. It was at 11:00.

Please tell me it's a side effect of the Requip, and not the disease. I also am beginning to get swollen ankles.

If it's not the requip, then perhaps stress? As most of you know, I've had a lot over the past year.......24 year old daughter has triple negative invasive breast cancer, I had to have a trache as a result of paralyzed vocal cords following thyroid sx, multiple laser sx on my vocal cords, and YES! The trache finally taken out, and my husband away for 4 weeks on business over the holidays

I guess I'm just scared its disease progression. My motherinlaw said she's made my reservation at the nursing home (jokingly), although she makes it a point to tell me when I've done it.

#2 joy h

joy h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

I would say definitely my cognitive issues have worsened as time goes on for me. I now keep a clip board in my car with the list of what I need to do for the day and directions to places. Zip also keep a white board on frig with my schedule on it

#3 Luthersfaith

Luthersfaith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

... what was I going to say?

Just joken... yes i am more forgetful due to pd i believe.

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#4 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Jenette,
Requip caused a lot of memory and cognitive issues as did Mirapex. The day she was completely off the Requip she was a different person. I was having issues and didn't get my generic Lipitor filled, not because I forgot, but the pharmacy changed their hours.
four days later I felt great and the fog was gone. Amazing how drugs mess with your mind and you don't even know they are the cause.

#5 afroney

afroney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Lately I've become very forgetful. Example.......we have a birthday party Saturday and I keep forgetting the time it starts. I screw up doctor appts. Example........had appt with my accountant Tuesday. I thought it was 11:30 and wrote 11:30 on my calendar. It was at 11:00.

Please tell me it's a side effect of the Requip, and not the disease. I also am beginning to get swollen ankles.

If it's not the requip, then perhaps stress? As most of you know, I've had a lot over the past year.......24 year old daughter has triple negative invasive breast cancer, I had to have a trache as a result of paralyzed vocal cords following thyroid sx, multiple laser sx on my vocal cords, and YES! The trache finally taken out, and my husband away for 4 weeks on business over the holidays

I guess I'm just scared its disease progression. My motherinlaw said she's made my reservation at the nursing home (jokingly), although she makes it a point to tell me when I've done it.

Memory and concentration issues showed up years before my physical symptoms. I underwent extensive neuropsych testing and found that my working memory is in the lower 5th percentile of the population...

Then the DR mentioned Mild Cognitive Impairment. Kind of the stage between dementia and normal. Very common in Parkinson's.

Exelon helps me significantly with memory and concentration.

#6 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationSeattl, WA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Jenette, if you haven't had baseline neuropsych testing, once the largest  part of the stress has gone you might want to check inyo it. I was very pleased to discover that I may not think as quickly as I used to, I'm pretty much as smart as I always was.

Best wishes,

Dianne

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#7 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

My husband's neurocognitive testing turned out very similar to Beau's Mom. Still there just not as fast. In fact, on one memory test, he got better as time went on which was unusual as most people would recall fewer of the words after time and doing other tasks. The findings helped us just to know sometimes slowing down and taking a little more time can be best. Hurrying creates stress and makes most things worse. He has always been a list maker using sticky notes. 

#8 lu states

lu states

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

my mind often feels mushy, like nothing is ' clicking ' .   i can listen to a message, and immediately the whole thing is gone.  shocking to the system.    i too must make lists and take many notes.  my life is becoming one big post-it-note !   it helps, though, and anything that helps is something to hang on to.  i keep pens with notepads at 3 seperate places in my house, and my house is one room with about 400 sq. feet !   unfortunately, because everything feels so mushy, and ' foggy ', i think i am losing any " smarts " i had.  may be because i can't " feel " them anymore, it isn't true, but i do think i am getting dumber, AND definately more forgetful !     lu

#9 metfan31

metfan31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationNorth Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I was going to post in here last night but I forgot, yeah not joking. and now I can't remember what I was going to say.  I think I made my point though.

#10 metfan31

metfan31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationNorth Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

my mind often feels mushy, like nothing is ' clicking ' .   i can listen to a message, and immediately the whole thing is gone.  shocking to the system.    i too must make lists and take many notes.  my life is becoming one big post-it-note !   it helps, though, and anything that helps is something to hang on to.  i keep pens with notepads at 3 seperate places in my house, and my house is one room with about 400 sq. feet !   unfortunately, because everything feels so mushy, and ' foggy ', i think i am losing any " smarts " i had.  may be because i can't " feel " them anymore, it isn't true, but i do think i am getting dumber, AND definately more forgetful !     lu

Lu this is what I call "Brain Fog" and I think I have seen others use the term the same way.  I hate that feeling and that's what made me keep seeking help from medical professional

#11 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Count me in with the memory problems. I'm having to give up direct patient care nursing and find a desk job because of it.

Kevin

#12 TNdad

TNdad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Kevin,

How long were you able to continue direct patient care after your diagnosis? Btw, which part of the state are you in if you don't mind my asking. I'm in East Tennessee.

Thanks

#13 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

4 years.  West TN

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic