E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

What's best exercise for the PD patient?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 swimmer

swimmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Wisconsin

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

This video is awesome!!!  Thanks for sharing.

I can promise you that rolling the ball with the bottom of your foot is wonderful!  

--Chris

Age 65, female

Diagnosed December 2013 @ 64 ---- no meds yet

2 years prior, experienced dizziness issues and extreme pain in shoulder & upper arm

tremor in right hand (same arm where shoulder pain was in)

handwriting darn near illegible.

difficulty in reading .. staying on one line

occasional toe cramping

unbalanced, but not falling

occasional muscle pain

some cognitive (multi-tasking, over organizing, remembering, spelling) and 'fuzzy brain' episodes

Exercising daily, primarily swimming accompanied by 1/2 hour in a warm water pool to do balancing and stretching

Daily:   striving to accept what is ...  and work with it

#62 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

I am beginning to get that slouched look.  When I asked my MDS he said I need to strenghten my back.  Anybody using exercises to strengthen your back. I have a yoga ball but am  unsure how to use it to strengthen my back. Any suggestions?

#63 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

noah, lay in your back, knees bent touching the floor/bed, lift your butt up and hold for count of 5, relax then do it again....PT  folks call it bridges...strengthen but ab and back muscles...you can do it either on the floor or on bed...good luck

patricia

#64 Don J

Don J

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSolana Beach

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

Try Fitstar or Fitstar yoga. It makes a huge difference in strength and flexibility for me and is tailored to your level. It's awesome. www.fitstar.com 

62 yr old male - diagnosed 8/6/14 - not currently on meds

http://ref.ly/Ep2.8-10

#65 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

So this fit star is something you pay for monthly
Where would you suggest a beginner start?

#66 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • LocationLakewood Ranch, Florida

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

Whether you have PD or not, MOST people around 60 yrs old are out of shape. Most are overweight, aren't active, and don't take care of themselves. Anything you can do to stay active is going to help you.....walking, weightlifting, cycling, swimming, etc.

Diagnosed 7/14 (age 57) by MDS and a DatScan. 

Began Azilect 8/6/2014

Started Sinemet 10/25/14.

https://www.youtube.com/acoustisongs

#67 Don J

Don J

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSolana Beach

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

Noah - go to the fitstar.com website and you can see what it's all about. It adapts to you and your fitness level. There is a free version so you can try it out. They only have an iOS app so far but are talking about an Android app soon.

Best,

Don J

62 yr old male - diagnosed 8/6/14 - not currently on meds

http://ref.ly/Ep2.8-10

#68 TexasTom

TexasTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

I'm signed up for LSVT BIG  (Lee Silverman Voice Training -- Movement).   Four one hour sessions four times a week, for four weeks.   I'll start next week.  My PT commented I did good on the incoming evaluation, and since I do 30 minutes of stretching, I should do quite well with the program. I'm still not the most stable, but sinemet has helped. 

I had written about attending a quick presentation last fall.   Ten separate movements, each repeated 10 times.   I was blown away how much better I felt after that simple workshop. It's a strengthening program, but more of a relearning mind <> muscle movements.    

Tomorrow is supposed to be back in the 60's!  I haven't been on my bicycle with this 35F high stuff.  Just way too stiff to get moving, but looking forward to warm enough get/keep moving.  

Tom

Dx 9/2014   56 years old  

Sinemet  25/100  8 per day.

Comtan   200mg  4 per day

PD first noted by a Doctor at age 20, but dismissed as I was too young to have PD.

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art. Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.   -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#69 FlyBaby

FlyBaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • LocationTacoma Wa.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

I'm still not the most stable,

Hummmm....... Are trying to say, that Parky people are (or might be) "unstable"???????  Of course, I've never been completely stable....... lol

Michael

Current age= 55

First symptoms: 1975

Prior mis-diagnosis: Dyspraxia, Essential Tremors, Ataxia, "Nerves".....

Final Dx. of Parkinson's: 2013

DBS surgery 12/2014............ Bilateral lead placement with a single battery/stimulator on RH side. Turned on 12/21/14 

"I will do what i can, while I can, and when i can't, I'll do something else"

#70 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

I'm confident that for my husband and my sister (both have PD), exercise is medicine. In fact, attending a week-long physical therapy retreat for people with PD just after my husband retired on disability in 2012 was life-changing for us. The 2015 retreat in Arizona still has room in the second week to be held in June. Check out the link below for more info. The retreat is led by Dr. Becky Farley who developed the BIG program. In the retreat, PWR! Moves take "BIG" a leap ahead. 

http://www.pwr4life.org/retreat/

Edited by Golden01, 15 January 2015 - 08:00 AM.

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine, Levodopa (1X/Day); Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

#71 TexasTom

TexasTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

Too funny Michael.  Then again at the gun range everyone does back up when I'm shooting!   I really should wear my medical "Parkinson's bracelet"  just so they realize "Oh, it's only a Parkie.... "

Golden1 -- I looked at that.   $3975 for PWP & Partner, dinner not included.  OUCH!    I'm sure that is a great week, but for the money would rather spend it on a 7 day Alaska Cruise for my wife and I. 

Dx 9/2014   56 years old  

Sinemet  25/100  8 per day.

Comtan   200mg  4 per day

PD first noted by a Doctor at age 20, but dismissed as I was too young to have PD.

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art. Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.   -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#72 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

It is expensive but for my husband it has been worth every penny. What we need are those PTs on the cruise to Alaska! That would be quite a trip. June is hot in Arizona too. 

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine, Levodopa (1X/Day); Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users