3 replies to this topic

#1 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

I had an appt. with my MDS today and she suggested adding Azilect to my Sinemet to help even out my on/off episodes.  I have read that many of you are already taking Azilect.  I have private insurance (i.e., I don't have group/employer coverage, I pay for my own policy) and the drug is in the formulary so I looked up the cost on the internet this evening and found that it costs about $510.00 per month!  I'm curious about how others afford this drug.  I also would like to know if anyone thinks it is so beneficial that it would be worth $510/month.  Thanks for your help.

Gardener, female, 59, diagnosed at 55, 600 mg of Sinemet daily, 1 mg Azilect

#2 young_dad

young_dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

I take it. Have taken it since 2006 when I was in the original drug study.  I would not pay $510 per month for it.  Currently, my insurance through my job has formulary drugs via mail order for $60 for a three month supply.

#3 MrFritz

MrFritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

When I was first diagnosed with PD, my Neuro wanted me to start taking Sinemet. But, I didn't want to start taking "heavy" drugs. So I was prescribed Azilect. Like you, with my Medicare Part D plan, it would have been super expensive. Fortunately, since I'm a Vet, I can get a 90 day supply for $27 from the VA.

My experience with Azilect (prior to starting Sinemet) was that it did not offer me any reduction of my tremors. After 3 months, I went on Sinemet. The only reasons why I still continue to take Azilect is 1) For me, it's cheap and 2) My Nuero thinks I should stay on it (no harm no foul).

Fred

70 year old married Caucasian male. PD symptoms first expressed approximately 1995. First dx'ed with PD 2012. Cause of PD believed to be exposure to TCE 1964-1968

MY LIST OF DAILY MEDICATIONS *

1200mg  URSODIOL since 10/16/2013 to Halt PD's Progression [ It's still working!!! ]

http://forum.parkins...for-pd/?p=78570

1mg  Azilect because it may slow down PD's Progression [ Doesn't seem to work for me ]

6 tabs 25/100  Sinemet to control PD's tremors

400mg  Ibuprofen to relieve Back Ache, Nocturia and minimize RBD [ Don't know why, but it works ]

100mg  Losartan for High Blood Pressure

5 mg  Amlodipine for High Blood Pressure
         1000mg  Vitamin D3 because my wife thinks I should take it

*  All medication are taken after meals, not by the clock, without experiencing any "downtime."

#4 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

For my husband, we pay $50 for a three month supply through our insurance, it is what they call a "Tier 3 Drug". Once the insurance company made a mistake and removed my  husband from our coverage (was supposed to be our son who got a job with insurance!). We went to pick up the Azilect and it was going to be $1,400 for a three month supply. We waited a few days until the insurance company could get his coverage straightened out before getting the prescription. I don't think we could pay the $510 a month. 

Husband diagnosed in 2005-Medicines: Azilect, Artane, and Amantadine, Levodopa (1X/Day); Sister and Best Friend from Childhood also have PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users