#1 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

Just wondering about your thoughts on driving with PD and Dystonia? In my state (NV) they suspend your license when you are DX with any serious neurological problems(epilepsy, PD, seizures of any kind ect..) They said that if and I mean if your doctor signs off on getting your license back it can be given back. I do have PD, Dystonia and Lupus induced non epileptic seizures that are pretty well controlled except when I've over done it. We came home from the mall and I walked everywhere(I'm supposed to use a wheel chair for distances over 200 ft.) and by the time we got to the car my feet, legs and hands balled up on me till the Sinemet kicked in. I did use a 4 wheeled walker.

I do take Sinemet 4x daily and 1.5 at bedtime(plus a large list of other drugs), my MDS from UCSF said to take extra if what happens above happens again.  I did talk to my physical therapist and he seems to think I'd be OK with driving as long as I have a driving evaluation done. He also said that because my legs are very weak he said that he would recommend hand controls as well.

Just curious as to your thoughts?

YOPD and dystonia DX 2013  symptomatic for 15 years   25/100 Sinemet 5x daily  1mg Azilect  50/200 Sinemet CR at bedtime  Miralax 17mg  5mg Valium 3x daily

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

We do not make bedside recommendations for driving in Parkinson's disease.  We recommend that patient go to a formal driving evaluation usually at a rehab center.  Also, if there is a question in the future of fitness to drive one should be sent back for re-evaluation.  These exams should be objective and consider the safety of you, the passengers, other cars, and bystanders.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 vipowitz

vipowitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

anyone know if other states have this restriction?

#4 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for your input. I do value your opinion because I can't get in to my MDS at UCSF until May. I am going to have an evaluation done by my local DMV rehab dept. BEFORE I consider getting my license back. I don't want to put anyone in danger.

Thanks so much for what you do!

YOPD and dystonia DX 2013  symptomatic for 15 years   25/100 Sinemet 5x daily  1mg Azilect  50/200 Sinemet CR at bedtime  Miralax 17mg  5mg Valium 3x daily

#5 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Good luck.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#6 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Vipowitz,   Most states have some kind of laws regulating neurological conditions and driving. Your best to check with your local DMV.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users