• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 justintimb

justintimb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

I'm 23 years old but I'm very thin but healthy. I had vitamins, foods with proteins, many things to gain weight but all were useless. are their any way to gain weight.

Select the suitable Sri Lanka holiday packages to explore the Sri Lanka cultural tours

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

You may have an exceptionally high metabolism, meaning you burn calories much more readily than most people. Vitamins, as such, don't make people gain weight. A better approach might be an exercise program that includes weight-lifting to build muscle mass, along with choosing foods rich in healthful fats -- avocados, raw nuts, extra-virgin olive oil, for example; and high-quality protein -- grass-fed beef, eggs, fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, halibut and sardines. Try to add about 200 - 400 calories more per day than you are currently eating. This can be done by including nutrient-dense snacks in between meals -- hard-boiled eggs, a peanut-butter sandwich, a protein shake, fresh fruits (apples, bananas, kiwis, pears, berries, etc.).

I hope this is helpful, and I wish you the very best in your effort to put on weight.

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#3 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Would it be ok to give my mom peanut butter sandwich daily along with her oatmeals with sliced bananas for breakfast?   She's been eating cake muffins with her oatmeal for months now but I want to switch to something else that will still let her gain some weight but in a healthy way.

#4 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Good thinking. If your mom can swallow normally, it should be fine, because it should not be difficult for her to chew.

Usually the concern with peanut butter is that it's so thick that it can be difficult to swallow. If she does have trouble with that, she might like a shake made with milk and peanut butter and honey or maple syrup or fruit for sweetening. One fellow whose mother had problems swallowing could get her to eat more by making a morning shake of milk, peanut butter, and chocolate syrup, which she loved.

But hopefully she'll be able to eat a sandwich without problems -- peanut butter is an excellent choice, rich in healthful fats, vitamin E, and good quality protein.

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#5 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thanks.  I bought the jiff whipped peanut butter today.  Hopefully it is easier to chew and swallow. 

#6 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

I haven't seen that yet, so can't comment. But you can also stir in some honey or jelly to thin it down a bit if needed. Let us know how she does.

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#7 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

It's like a whip cream consistency and I added butter to it to make it even smoother.  It still stuck to her mouth and it could be the bread that's doing it.   It sounds kind gross but I thought of mixing it in her oatmeal  to make it 1 big bowl of oatmeal, bananas and peanut butter.  Is that bad? 

#8 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

I don't think that's a bad idea at all. The combination of fruit/bananas and peanut butter has been around for a long time, and I see no reason why oatmeal would not combine well. It's certainly worth a try. If she likes it and swallows it without problem, it's a great food choice.

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#9 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

i just scooped the peanut butter with some chocolates and it's a great substitute for peanut butter cups. :razz:

#10 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

Ha! I bet there's not a person on the planet who doesn't love peanut butter cups! Inspired idea on your part!  :idea:

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users