#1 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

My current phone no longer works for me, it's a Blackberry style phone with tiny buttons that I am always misdialing. I have even accidentally called 911 a couple of times and texting takes forever if I actually text.  Any ideas on what the best type of phone for people like us? Where I live all carriers work. Just looking to get some answers before I buy the wrong thing.

Thanks Everyone!

#2 AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

A real simple phone with voice commands,voice text, voice dial ect ect .............you either love or hate iphone .

Of course most phones do all of the above and more but the iphone is real simple to use. 

#3 afroney

afroney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

I have a Samsung Note 2. Its huge. Touch screen buttons are large making them easy to use.

#4 PaperCoyote

PaperCoyote

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

I used to use the Galaxy Note 3 because of its size, but recently switched to the iPhone. I like using Siri. I can call, send text have my text read to me, check the weather, set reminders and schedule my doctor appointments and a lot more, all with Siri. And you can use Siri with lock screen on so you don't have to worry about misdialing or pocket dialing 911. Plus there are apps available that my Note didn't have, such as a Parkinson's app from the UK that allows you to assign contacts to big buttons so that you can make calls when your tremor is bad. But with Siri the app is not used a lot. Also they have an app called Pill Reminder that allows you to add your meds and dosage for reference incase you need to show a doctor what you are taking plus you can set reminders to take what pills and when. I loved my Note because my eyes aren't that great (or my arms aren't long enough) but the usefulness of Siri outweighed the readability of web pages. Just my opinion but look around in a store and find the phone that is comfortable and easy to use for you.

#5 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks,

There are way too many phone choices. I did try my sister in-law's Galaxy Note 3 and it is huge! But even with a 2yr contract it was still over $300.00. I would love an iPhone and they have come way down in price but I'm not sure if I want to get locked into a multi year contract but I just might do that because of the PD APP.   

#6 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

My iPhone 4s works very well for me, although it doesn't always understand what I am saying. I even have an app that measures tremor!

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#7 young_dad

young_dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

I switched my wife and I to ting.com.   No contract, but you pay full price for your phone.  They use the Sprint network, so if you don't get reception with Sprint, don't use them.  We basically cut our monthly cell phone bill from $130 per month to $69.  If you want a discount code, send me a personal message as I don't want to do that on here.

You can buy a Nexus 5 without a contract straight from Google for $349 and those are pretty big and work on most of the networks.  I know T-Mobile also has non-contract plan as well.  I also found a nearly new Galaxy SIII for my wife for $200 on Craigsllist, so you might try there as well.

Edited by young_dad, 21 February 2014 - 01:17 AM.

#8 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

Well I finally got a phone, it wasn't exactly what I wanted but it should work OK. It's the ZTE Valet through Tracfone. It's the about the same size as the iPhone but I got it through Amazon for only $69 with a 600 minute card, and they triple the minutes when I buy them. It runs Android 4.1 and supposed to do almost everything that the iPhone does, and because it's Tracfone if it doesn't work I don't lose much! Then I can move on to something better. 

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Edited by DanC33, 21 February 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#9 MjolnirTime

MjolnirTime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

I love my Galaxy Note 3.  I don't misclick so many things with that because of the screen size.

#10 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

Well after a few days of playing with my new phone, it does what I wanted. It has voice dialing and speech to text which as we all know helps us a lot. Now I need to see about any PD related apps.

#11 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi Dan,

I use PD Life from the Rocky Mountain PD group (tracks meds, symptoms, and med timing), LifeLog ($10) (keeps tracks of all sorts of things), Parkinson Meter (measures tremor). Non-PD apps which help me with stress and relaxation are Meditation Oasis and iSleep Easy, both by Mary and Richard Maddox. I also keep track of my PD on a website called Patients Like Me. Let me know if you find any more good ones in your search.

Dianne

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#12 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Dianne, I will look into those apps. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users