E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Does anyone have experience with Mirtazapine to aid with Sleep?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jbirish

jbirish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Just wondering if anyone has had any reactions, success, or problems with taking Mirtazapine. My doctor has prescribed the medicine to help me sleep, as I am awake each night with terrible leg cramps and tremors. I am worried because it is an anti-depressant and one of added benefits is as a sleep aid. My doctor assures me there are no adverse symptoms for this medicine with PD.

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • LocationSeattl, WA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

I took Mirtazapine as an antidepressant and it caused significant weight gain, so I had to stop it.

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 Annikin

Annikin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

I took it- it was the first drug the MDS prescribed. After one dose  I slept for 2 days, woke up feeliing stoned- went hanggliding (yes, hanggliding)- slept all the way home then continued to sleep for another 36 hours!  Even a fraction of the dose knocks me out for way too long.

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • LocationSeattl, WA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

You should probably add Mirtazapine to your drug allergies list, since you are so sensitive to it. I had to do that with another psych drug called Lamictal because within 15 minutes of taking it I couldn't even get myself into bed. Any drug that causes an adverse reaction should be on your drug allergies list. Did you manage to stay awake during the hang gliding? I would hate to miss that experience!

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 Annikin

Annikin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Yes and I remembered that part- figured I'd get a jump start  (no pun intended) on my bucket list- it was awesome!! 

Sadly I have a very long adverse drug rxn list- as well as things like band aid adhesive, latex, iodine. I am one of those folks who has the rare side effects listed on drug sheets. When I go to the hospital I get three wrist bands. Fortunately my best friend is a nurse who  makes sure someone stays with me whenever a new drug is ordered until I am out of danger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users