6 replies to this topic

#1 dinnes

dinnes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Well, today was a busy day. Nothing particularly good, bad or different. So why do I have to be soo grumpy. I am a nice, easy going person, or used to be. I'm not usually moody. I only take one medication so far and it's for the stiffness and such. I dread having to take something for my mood. Sometimes I even annoy myself. grrr.

Also I am newly diagnosed, taking carb/lev (too tired to spell). I was happy to see the difference I felt taking medication. I don't really have a tremor when taking it and have had several benefits. I've been taking it just under 2 months, at a low dose, and my tremor is getting worse. I can notice an increase over the last few days. I'm thinking I'm going to end up with a med increase already. I do have an appt. with my nuerologist coming up.

#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

Dinnes, in the first two years after diagnosis I was extremely irritable and short tempered when I had not been before. Part of it was fighting the diagnosis in my head. A huge portion was being tired all the time, foggy-headed, and slow.I was used to  being the helper, not the person needing help. I alienated people with my irritability and unpredictable moods. Over time, as I accepted my diagnosis and began to choose what was best for me and not try to be who I always was for everyone, those feelings are much more manageable now. It helped that I had a Rehab psychologist I saw every week who was very knowledgeable about PD. I still see her every two weeks.

Be gentle with yourself as you work through the grief process (many times, with each new loss). It is a necessary and survivable experience that leads to some measure of happiness and hope for a good life even with PD. Keep sharing. It helps, and we are here to listen and support where we can.

Dianne

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 metfan31

metfan31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationNorth Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

I too am very moody for no apparent reason at times.  My Neurologist blames the Requip, but I am often worst when I am over due my next dose and not medicated, also I had this before Dx or medication.  My MDS does not think it is the medication either but while not ruling out PD, she could not confirm it because I was medicated and symptoms were most likely masked and too subtle to warrant Dx.  She did say that moodiness can be part of PD or just the frustration that comes from constant pain and memory issues (& all the things Dianne states above). I was in pain for so long that my mind started to tune it out so I felt it but wasn't really aware of it (if that makes sense) only now that I have had relief from pain do I know how much pain I have been in. Basically I forgot what normal felt like, pain was the new normal, also I attributed severe pain to a bad back or over doing it with physical activity. Anyway my point is you may be in more pain than you realize and that alone is enough to make anyone cranky.  I really hope we are both as fortunate as Dianne and can eventually move past the irritability caused from all the frustrations tied to PD.  Hope this helps, at least know you are not alone.

Richard

#4 dinnes

dinnes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the help Dianne and Richard! I do get tired and foggy headed and have to keep pushing through a work day. It's so much harder. It's easier to do what's best for me on the weekends than during the week at this point. I'm still in the helper roll for the most part. 

Glad you've found some relief from the pain Richard! I can have days with not much pain when I don't over do it. Then there's the days I try to catch up on things and pay the price or cramp up or have neck pain for no apparent reason. With that said, there's sure enough annoying things that can add up in a day.

It does help knowing I'm not alone in this challenge. Thanks again, good luck all!

#5 lu states

lu states

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:20 AM

dinnes....when i started taking sinemet, i did not  get the " expected " side effects of gastrointestinal distress of some sort, what i did get was a mild headache....something i never have.   it was like someone was squeezing my head all over, painful and annoying, but not over the top.   what i DID notice, was how cranky and crabby i had become.   not part of my usual personality either, but i was ridiculously cranky.   like fighting with a " recording "  while trying to get through to a person on some stupid phone call.  i knew it was a recording, and yet i was yelling at it.   i called myself " crabby "  often.  my headache is going away ( side effect wise ), and along with it, my most obvious crankiness.  i seem better.  maybe it was a side effect, or, a side effect of having a mild but annoying headache.  anyway, i too, suffered crabbiness after starting sinemet.                          sometimes overdoing it, i can also get beyond tired and in lots of pain in new places.  the other morning  i awoke at 5, and it took until 7 before i could bring myself to walk the 15 feet to my kitchen and make some coffee ( which i don't usually drink ), because not only could i barely lift my shoulders and arms from the pain, but i was just too tired.  finally had my coffee, but never came out of the tiredness or pain that day.  i must have slept 18 hours on and off for saturday, and then again on sunday ( i don't usually sleep much ), and then came around to normal.   don't know if it was a bug, or everything just caught up.   anyway, two things i have had in the last week , one that matches what you were feeling.   better yesterday and today.........lu

#6 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

i have found that often i wake up with stress.Using a CPAC machine has helped alot.I think alot of PD patients suffer a form of sleep apnea .Any comments welcome.

#7 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

I have been asked to have a sleep study done, although I've never awoken choking in the middle of the night. I do snore some. We'll see what it shows-but I get to bring my favorite pillow!!!

Dianne

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users