• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ann connor

ann connor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Have always had "on' dystonia from sinemet.  Although gpi location for my 9/13 dbs surgery was suggested by my neurologist , my neurosurgeon   thought stn was best.  Now programming and meds both provoke shoulder and foot dystonia.  I like both my docs but we are all stymied.  Can you please recommend programming or meds  suggestions for stn  dystonia.  Or tell me there is nothing that can be done.  The neurosurgeon recommended a 2nd gpi surgery which I would like to avoid. 

My husband and I heard you speak on dbs at the YOPD Minneapolis conference in 2004.  It was great.  THANK YOU for all that you do for the Parkinson's community.  Finally had DBS 9/13. shows great potential but I am frustrated now.  Hope that you can help. 

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

I would probably ask the docs to take a step back; examine the programming; get imaging to check lead location and see if medications and programming (in combination can help).  I would ask the question as to whether the programming at each contact on each device makes sense (side effect versus benefits) and consider it could be lead location.  We see one patient like you from all over the country each week and we follow an algorithm to try to solve the problem; and if we fail we either reposition or consider a different DBS target.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users