6 replies to this topic

#1 Oakman

Oakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Occasionally someone wants to know what stage of PD I am in. I don't know and don't care to know. A nurse at my wife's doctor office thought this was very strange. Am I missing something? What are the advantages of rating the degree of Parkinson's?

#2 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

I suppose, that in early stage there are more life style changes you can make that will help with functioning.  Also, it is my understanding that, for most people, early stage is longer and as you move to higher stages, the progression may go faster.  Other than that (and possibly to plan for future issues such as financial and care, I can't think of many reasons why the stage is important to know.

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#3 lu states

lu states

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

who knows ?   the various symptoms are so widespread, and come on differently for different people, the whole thing is a mystery.   i had symptoms for 10 years before it was obvious something was wrong.   i think " what stage " is the very odd question....and un-answerable in my opinion, until you are very advanced.   who knows when that will be ???      lu

#4 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Perhaps it is used to determine eligibility for things like walkers, electric wheelchairs, hospital beds, etc. by insurance companies. Or maybe it's a way for doctors to talk to each other about a patient with fewer words and symptom description. I don't find it all that helpful to ask myself. I simply ask myself if I'm happy each day, do whatever I can to be happy, and let it go at that! :D 

Dianne

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#5 afroney

afroney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Perhaps it is used to determine eligibility for things like walkers, electric wheelchairs, hospital beds, etc. by insurance companies. Or maybe it's a way for doctors to talk to each other about a patient with fewer words and symptom description. I don't find it all that helpful to ask myself. I simply ask myself if I'm happy each day, do whatever I can to be happy, and let it go at that! :D

Dianne

Social Security uses it for determining if you are disabled.

#6 blw

blw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

It is hard to evaluate whist level you are a at.For me the progression is slow right now.I am a prayer person-try to be positive-eat right-some Physical activity and lots of vitamins.This is the hardest thing I have ever done.Will keep going til I no longer can.

#7 RNwithPD

RNwithPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

While it is necessary to have scales to rate PD symptoms for scientific study, I believe that PD is too complex and too personal of a disease to really compare one patient with another.  There are a couple of different scales one could go by, but each one fails to take into account the experience of the patient. Only the PWP truly understands how the disease is affecting them.  I could be a Stage II on the Hoehn and Yahr scale when I'm off of my meds, but be a Stage I when I'm on.  I could be a Stage II, yet my fatigue that is unseen is totally disabling.  Another person could be a Stage II and still feel pretty good and be able to work.  So rating scales don't truly reflect the condition and experience of the patient and are pretty much irrelevant in my opinion.

Kevin

Currently age 42.  Symptomatic at age 36.  Diagnosed at age 39.  Sinemet 2-tabs every 4 hrs (800-1000mg levodopa daily); Amantadine 100 mg 3 times/day; Primidone 50 mg 3 times/day; gabapentin 200 mg 3 times/day; Klonopin 1 mg at bedtime; Seroquel 50 mg at bedtime; Effexor 75 mg daily; Vit-D3 5000 IU daily;Vit-B Complex daily; Melatonin 3 mg at bedtime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users