11 replies to this topic

#1 Debb

Debb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hi all,

I just found this site. My father was just diagnosed with Parkinsons. He is 80 years old and was pretty active until the last year. I am trying to read and research all I can to try to understand what I can and learn what I can to help Dad. Do you have any suggestions when it comes to books to read?

Also, my dad reads, a lot. He ask me today about finding some books for him to read so he can learn more about it. I want to find something for him, without overwhelming him with too much information all at once.

any suggestions?

#2 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

There is a lot of info on this site. There is a page with lots of downloads to read, it will take you a while if you ready them all. Good luck.

#3 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

CoachT is right, this website has lots of good info. You can also click on "Publications" at the top of the home page and find a number of booklets that you can order free of charge for your Dad. 

Here are some of the books that have been helpful to me along the way (my husband, sister, and best friend from childhood all have PD):

• Navigating Life with Parkinson Disease published by the American Academy of Neurology - Easy to understand, "real-life" stories and examples.
  • Taking Charge of Parkinson's Disease: Dynamic Lifestyle Changes to Put You in the Driver's Seat by Ann Cutter Mikkelsen - This is my all time favorite but might not be as appealing to your Dad. It is part memoir of a couple pretty much at the same stages in life as my husband and I when he was diagnosed (no, we didn't sell our house and move though!) and  part delicious recipes. I cook for a hobby so loved those. I liked the empowerment approach too. 
  • Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life by Dr. Okun is easy to read and popular.
  • Parkinson's Humor: Funny Stories About My Life with Parkinson's Disease by Beverly Ribaudo is one I haven't read yet but others have said it is a laugh-out-loud book. 
  • Neurology Now is a free magazine for folks with a neurological disorder. It doesn't feature articles on Parkinson's Disease in every issue but always has interesting info on brain health, new resources, etc. We subscribed by picking up a copy in my husband's MDS office and mailing in a card. You can also subscribe online at  http://journals.lww....es/default.aspx

Good luck to you. Your Dad is fortunate to have you helping him navigate this diagnosis. 

Edited by Golden01, 15 March 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#4 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

I like "The Parkinson's Disease Treatment Book" by Dr. J. Erik Ahlskog.  It's a book I keep on my nightstand and refer to often as conditions change and require different approaches. 

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#5 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

I found A Life Shaken; My Encounter with Parkinson's Disease by Joel Haverman to be well written, informative and helpful. Published in 2002,  likely dated from a therapeutic standpoint. 

Edited by Rogerstar1, 15 March 2014 - 10:48 PM.

#6 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

My cousin posted this link to a Pinterest page from the Michael J Fox Foundation this morning:

http://www.pinterest...ooks-resources/

Timely!

#7 Trying hard

Trying hard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Navigating Life with Parkinson's Disease:  It is a Neurology Now Book

Oxford University Press

#8 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Our issue of Neurology Now that arrived today lists a free DVD and guidebook to help patients and their families understand and live with Parkinson's disease. You can order a free copy (while supplies last) at: https://www.aan.com/...ucation-videos/  

#9 Golden01

Golden01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Opinion piece from the New York Times . . . brought tears to my eyes. How about yours?

http://opinionator.b...d=65441997&_r=0

#10 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

Truly superb, with excellent powerful and moving comments as well.  Thanks so much for posting, Golden01.

#11 Trying hard

Trying hard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

Thank you Golden01 for posting the link. I think we can all relate in one way or another, shed a tear too. Very powerful as Rogerstar1 said

#12 The Ducks

The Ducks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Thank you, Golden01 for the post of the article. I read more than once already and perhaps many more times as my husband's PD progresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users