• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 malexander

malexander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I am a candidate for DBS, but I have not yet decided where to have it done.  I believe you have suggested looking at complication rates as one factor while evaluating possible surgical centers.  I have found this information difficult to obtain.  Administrative staff and nurses at several centers have told me that I needed to talk with the neurosurgeon to get this information.  One site (Stanford) told me that I would need to schedule an appointment first and then I could ask about complication rates during my appointment.  Even when I have gotten numbers for complication rates, it is not clear that they are using standardized criteria.  For example, I have heard infection rates of 2% up to 13%, but I do not know if minor skin infections are included in each case.  Also, I do not know if these rates are per patient or per surgical site--ie do they assume a bilateral or unilateral procedure.  Do you have any advise concerning how I can get this information and how I should interpret the numbers?

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

There is no requirement to report this information.  Most of the time you do need to look the surgeon in the eyes and ask him/her.  The complications you are most worried about are infections requiring device removal, and bleeds in the brain.  Hope that helps.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 xaxa

xaxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Disturbing, isn't it? That there is no requirement to know or provide such important information... It's not like I'm buying a car here or something---it's MY BRAIN, people! Why is this so nebulous? Of course, if the surgeon can't give me a straight answer I'm gonna pass, but still,...

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

You should definitely get straight answers before considering DBS surgery for Parkinson's.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users