johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

Hi,

I am a vietnam veteran and looking for other veterans with PD who served in Vietnam.Hoping to start a new group on this subject.Especialy interested in sharing VA healthcare on this subject.

If interested please reply.

John

#2 Tadpole

Tadpole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

I would certainly enjoy hearing more about personal experiences since, although my husband is eligible for treatment at VA facilities, they are sufficiently far away as to have discouraged our use thus far.

This is just random info: There are a couple of groups already, a Yahoo group, vets_parkinsons_agentorange, and, of course, the vets.yuku.com Agent Orange subgroup, Agent Orange, Heart Disease, Prostate and Parkinson's. The later is for people applying for benefits for all reasons including Parkinson's. The former is a Parkinson's support group (I think) that has steady but slow traffic.

#3 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

I would certainly enjoy hearing more about personal experiences since, although my husband is eligible for treatment at VA facilities, they are sufficiently far away as to have discouraged our use thus far.

This is just random info: There are a couple of groups already, a Yahoo group, vets_parkinsons_agentorange, and, of course, the vets.yuku.com Agent Orange subgroup, Agent Orange, Heart Disease, Prostate and Parkinson's. The later is for people applying for benefits for all reasons including Parkinson's. The former is a Parkinson's support group (I think) that has steady but slow traffic.

I know about those groups you mentioned. I volunteer at a local parkinson support group and have met many vets,some who didnt know they were eligiable for va comp and healthcare for PD.At one meeting there were four vietnam vets of which one had never heard of the VA connection.Im sure there are many out there who need to know about coverage.

Your husband can get his presciptions filled at the VA  free.Im intersted also in knowing how the VA covers care like DBS if needed.

#4 Tadpole

Tadpole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

I seem to recall having read somewhere that the PADRECCs have funded or done a lot of research and clinical studies/trials of DBS. I have always assumed they were probably one of the best sources of Physicians with expertise in the area. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I ran into that information. It might have been at one of the VA websites. On the other hand, you are right, I'm not so sure the VA picks up the cost of DBS if it is done outside of one of these studies. They might not cover It at all. Interesting question.

You can't get prescriptions filled unless you visit the VA clinic once a year. So far we have not visited the VA clinic here in WA. I signed my husband up for the health care but, because we have other options for medical that also are fully covered, he's not inclined to want to go to the nearest VA facility once a year. Too bad because drugs is the one thing our insurance doesn't fully cover and we are paying 15% for name brands and $15 copays for generics. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up.

#5 Curt732

Curt732

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Please allow me to be so bold:

I am “50%  SC” in VA speak.  That means I have a 50 % service connected disability.  I have PTSD.   It also means I get a check every month for around $1200.  It also means 100% of my other medical needs are free to me except dental.  My prescriptions are free.  Recently I discovered that Vietnam vets, with PD, stand a very good chance of getting additional benefits without having to prove exposure to Agent Orange.

Start with the link below and follow through.  It's fascination.  I do wish you well.

Tell me what you think.

http://www.publichea...sonsdisease.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users