• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wyleops

wyleops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

Four years ago I was referred to a neurologist because of low back pain, leg pain, anxiety, constipation, exhaustion, and kicking in my sleep. He did find slight neuropathy on my left side but ignored the other symptoms and dismissed me with RLS. I had been experiencing tremors in my left hand but never in the presence of the neurologist. I also informed him that my left leg would bounce under my desk at work but he said this was just a nervous habit.

I have been on Ropinirole since the initial diagnosis and most of my symptoms are dormant. Apparently, my leg bouncing was not a nervous habit. Recently, I have been having trouble sleeping, losing my balance and bumping into things, and getting stiff legs after sitting our lying down. I'm 46 and very active but I am now getting exhausted mowing the lawn.

Both my dad and his father had PD and all my first symptoms seem in line with early PD. I've made an appointment at a Movement Disorders clinic but do I focus on RLS or push them towards PD? The last neurologist said I couldn't be diagnosed until a doctor saw it in my walk or stiffness in my arms. I don't think that's very likely if I'm taking Ropinirole already.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

A good neurologist will be able to diagnose you by history and exam.  It will help if you stop the ropinerole 12-24 hours before your appointment.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users