Study: Blueberries help reduce Parkinson’s risk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Study: Blueberries help reduce Parkinson’s risk
      thepacker_icon_resizesm.gif  Resize text  thepacker_icon_resizelg.gif    h-p-icon-l.gifh-p-text-l.gif

04/09/2014 02:36:00 PM
Doug Ohlemeier

Blueberries_249.jpgA new study shows eating blueberries reduces the risk of contracting Parkinson’s disease and may protect human brain performance.

A group of scientists from North Carolina State University, Purdue University and Rutgers University investigated how extracts from blueberries, grape seeds, hibiscus, blackcurrant and Chinese mulberries, all of which are rich in health-promoting phytochemicals, could suppress cell death caused by Parkinson’s, according to a news release.

The study, “Neuroprotective effects of anthocyanin- and proanthocyanidin-rich extracts in cellular models of Parkinson’s disease,” was published in the March 25 issue of the Brain Research scientific journal, http://bit.ly/1e8v1Ml.

Findings indicate two specific classes of phytochemicals are effective against the neurodegeneration or loss of nerve cell function in the brain brought on by Parkinson’s, according to the release.

Anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins are naturally occurring plant compounds prevalent in some fruits and vegetables.

“Blueberries have both of these natural chemicals in high concentrations, so they pack a more powerful, 1-2 punch,” researcher Mary Ann Lila, director of North Carolina State University’s Plants for Human Health Institute in Kannapolis, N.C., said in the release. “They can have synergistic benefits that surpass many other fruits when it comes to protection against brain cell death, which in turn may reduce the risk of contracting Parkinson’s.”

In the U.S., 1 million people are estimated to suffer from Parkinson’s, a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system that involves the malfunction and death of vital brain nerve cells. The disease leaves people unable to control movement normally.

Early symptoms include shaking, stiffness, slowed movement and difficulty walking, according to the release.

http://www.thepacker...-254594811.html

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#2 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

Kathrynne, been having 1/4 cup of blueberries every morning for the past 5 yrs...maybe I'm not eating the correct bramd.  Study must be trying to push sales up..it's bad enough most times they're $4+ a pint.

Patricia

#3 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Patricia, I will be the first to agree that much of today's research studies are funded by companies seeking to promote their products. In fact, this has become a "hot button" for health professionals nowadays.

However, studies on berries and other foods rich in phytochemicals have been ongoing, by a number of quite varied research groups, for quite a few years now, and I am fairly careful about seeking those not supported by fruit producers, berry councils, etc. but by independent researchers. I myself think there is substance to this work, and I do encourage use of such foods -- what prevents a disease may, perhaps, also slow its progression. And, yes, they sure do cost an arm and a leg! We are fortunate to live near farms that sell their own, and I buy and freeze a year's supply when in season.

Here are a couple of past studies on fruits of interest:

Public release date: 13-Feb-2011
http://www.eurekaler...n-ebm020811.php

rseroka@aan.com
651-695-2738
American Academy of Neurology

Eating berries may lower risk of Parkinson's

ST. PAUL, Minn. –New research shows men and women who regularly eat berries may have a lower risk of developing Parkinson's disease, while men may also further lower their risk by regularly eating apples, oranges and other sources rich in dietary components called flavonoids. The study was released today and will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 63rd Annual Meeting in Honolulu April 9 to April 16, 2011.

Flavonoids are found in plants and fruits and are also known collectively as vitamin P and citrin. They can also be found in berry fruits, chocolate, and citrus fruits such as grapefruit.

The study involved 49,281 men and 80,336 women. Researchers gave participants questionnaires and used a database to calculate intake amount of flavonoids. They then analyzed the association between flavonoid intakes and risk of developing Parkinson's disease. They also analyzed consumption of five major sources of foods rich in flavonoids: tea, berries, apples, red wine and oranges or orange juice. The participants were followed for 20 to 22 years.

During that time, 805 people developed Parkinson's disease. In men, the top 20 percent who consumed the most flavonoids were about 40 percent less likely to develop Parkinson's disease than the bottom 20 percent of male participants who consumed the least amount of flavonoids. In women, there was no relationship between overall flavonoid consumption and developing Parkinson's disease. However, when sub-classes of flavonoids were examined, regular consumption of anthocyanins, which are mainly obtained from berries, were found to be associated with a lower risk of Parkinson's disease in both men and women.

"This is the first study in humans to examine the association between flavonoids and risk of developing Parkinson's disease," said study author Xiang Gao, MD, PhD, with the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston. "Our findings suggest that flavonoids, specifically a group called anthocyanins, may have neuroprotective effects. If confirmed, flavonoids may be a natural and healthy way to reduce your risk of developing Parkinson's disease."

###

The study was supported by the National Institutes of Health.

===================================================================================================

Public release date: 4-Apr-2012

press@uea.ac.uk
44-016-035-93496
University of East Anglia

Eating flavonoids protects men against Parkinson's disease

Men who eat flavonoid-rich foods such as berries, tea, apples and red
wine significantly reduce their risk of developing Parkinson's disease,
according to new research by Harvard University and the University of
East Anglia (UEA).

Published today in the journal Neurology ®, the findings add to the
growing body of evidence that regular consumption of some flavonoids can
have a marked effect on human health. Recent studies have shown that
these compounds can offer protection against a wide range of diseases
including heart disease, hypertension, some cancers and dementia.

This latest study is the first study in humans to show that flavonoids
can protect neurons against diseases of the brain such as Parkinson's.

Around 130,000 men and women took part in the research. More than 800
had developed Parkinson's disease within 20 years of follow-up. After a
detailed analysis of their diets and adjusting for age and lifestyle,
male participants who ate the most flavonoids were shown to be 40 per
cent less likely to develop the disease than those who ate the least. No
similar link was found for total flavonoid intake in women.

The research was led by Dr Xiang Gao of Harvard School of Public Health
in collaboration with Prof Aedin Cassidy of the Department of Nutrition,
Norwich Medical School at UEA.

"These exciting findings provide further confirmation that regular
consumption of flavonoids can have potential health benefits," said Prof
Cassidy.

"This is the first study in humans to look at the associations between
the range of flavonoids in the diet and the risk of developing
Parkinson's disease and our findings suggest that a sub-class of
flavonoids called anthocyanins may have neuroprotective effects."

Prof Gao said: "Interestingly, anthocyanins and berry fruits, which are
rich in anthocyanins, seem to be associated with a lower risk of
Parkinson's disease in pooled analyses. Participants who consumed one or
more portions of berry fruits each week were around 25 per cent less
likely to develop Parkinson's disease, relative to those who did not eat
berry fruits. Given the other potential health effects of berry fruits,
such as lowering risk of hypertension as reported in our previous
studies, it is good to regularly add these fruits to your diet."

Flavonoids are a group of naturally occurring, bioactive compunds found
in many plant-based foods and drinks. In this study the main protective
effect was from higher intake of anthocyanins, which are present in
berries and other fruits and vegetables including aubergines,
blackcurrants and blackberries. Those who consumed the most anthocyanins
had a 24 per cent reduction in risk of developing Parkinson's disease
and strawberries and blueberries were the top two sources in the US diet.

The findings must now be confirmed by other large epidemiological
studies and clinical trials.

Parkinson's disease is a progresssive neurological condition affecting
one in 500 people, which equates to 127,000 people in the UK. There are
few effective drug therapies available.

Dr Kieran Breen, director of research at Parkinson's UK said: "This
study raises lots of interesting questions about how diet may influence
our risk of Parkinson's and we welcome any new research that could
potentially lead to prevention.

"While these new results look interesting there are still a lot of
questions to answer and much more research to do before we really know
how important diet might be for people with Parkinson's."
###

'Habitual intake of dietary flavonoids and risk of Parkinson's disease'
by X Gao (Harvard), A Cassidy (UEA), M Schwarzschild (Massachusetts
General Hospital), E Rimm (Harvard) and A Ascherio (Harvard) is
published on April 4 by Neurology ® – the medical journal of the
American Academy of Neurology.

http://www.eurekaler...a-efp032812.php

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#4 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

All the studies talk about prevention of pd. Can one assume(I know that gets you in trouble) that it maybe helpful in slowing down progress. I eat them every day I too frozen several bags this last summer. Any truth that wild berries are better?

#5 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Noah, I rarely assume anything, but I have observed many times that something that prevents disease often alleviates the disease once it has started as well. Think of oats and heart disease, for example. Because anthocyanins appear to protect against neurodegeneration in a healthy brain, I cannot help but wonder if they offer some degree of protection once PD has begun. I firmly believe it is worth trying, if only because anthocyanins offer so many health benefits in general.

Initially the studies were on wild blueberries; but most of the work since then has been on cultivated berries. So I am hopeful that, like cultivated cranberries, these offer benefits too.

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#6 Annikin

Annikin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

I eat them like crazy and my progression is slow compared to most people on the forum. I have no balance issues, no smell loss and am on minimal meds. Maybe its the blue berries maybe not but I like that I can justify eating them now even when they are expensive. They definitely have other benefits so I think I'll keep them in my diet. Thanks for the post.

#7 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Anniken, thanks for your comments. Although personal testimonials cannot be taken as scientific fact, that is nonetheless how all research gets started -- with someone's observation. And yes -- it's great to have a good reason to eat blueberries!

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users