12 replies to this topic

#1 Bills

Bills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Early on and currently, if you guys dont mind me asking?

Edited by Bills, 10 April 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#2 Jenette

Jenette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

I didn't realize that constipation was a PD symptom. I was very constipated and was lucky to have a bm every other day. It was so bad that (this is gross) I felt I needed to dig it out. I still have trouble and when I need to, I'll use an enema

#3 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:02 AM

Bowel movement problems (mainly constipation) are a very common symptom and can present many years before diagnosis.  The question should be:  How many bowel movements did you have per week?  And, the answer for me would be none.

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#4 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

From my limited experience, my MDS said that constipation is one of the first things that they look for in DX PD.  For me I went from daily then every 3 days to now if I go weekly I think I've accomplished something. I even use every softener and laxative out there.  

YOPD and dystonia DX 2013  symptomatic for 15 years   25/100 Sinemet 5x daily  1mg Azilect  50/200 Sinemet CR at bedtime  Miralax 17mg  5mg Valium 3x daily

#5 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

Often constipation is caused by the various meds one is taking as well as  diet (too much meat, not enough fiber). I have slow bowel motility - slow absorption and passage of food - caused by PD and I have no problem with bowel movements, although once in a while it may take an extra day, but it happens easily - no pressure....  I eat lots of fiber and little meat. Apparently MM is suppose to help bowel movements, especially diarrhea, though I've never noticed.

#6 The Ducks

The Ducks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Hello Forum Members,

My husband has had PD for 11 years and 1 g Fish Oil capsule taking at bedtime seem to help with constipation in addition to adding fiber in diet. Perhaps the Forum Nutritionist can give us her expertise advice

Thanks

#7 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hello Ducks,

You will need to write to Kathrynne the nutritionist on her forum to get a direct answer. Just an FYI. I've had constipation and Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 30 years. I was just diagnosed with Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth and will start treatment for that tomorrow. SIBO is very common in PD. Kathrynne was the one who suggested I get tested.

Dianne

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#8 MjolnirTime

MjolnirTime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

It varies, depending on which of my issues is dominant that day. I suffer from both constipation from PD, and overactive bowels caused by my lack of a gallbladder. Usually the second helps relieve the first if I eat certain foods. 

#9 SandyR

SandyR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I've gone from every other day to maybe once every 4 or 5 days.  I always dread it because as everyone knows, it can be painful after that long.  I keep saying I need to take a softener, but always forget until it's too late.  :oops:

#10 verlin

verlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

I find i am both i am ok one day then very lose then hard then so on is part of on pd

#11 verlin

verlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

I find i am both i am ok one day then very lose then hard then so on is part of on pd

i mean is this part of on pd

#12 mike709

mike709

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMiddletown PA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I go once a week if I'm lucky

#13 stargate12

stargate12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

I have suffered constipation for years. With PD onset it got worse.

I have now found a combination of a herbal laxative and stool softener.

I also exercise a lot.

Now I go every day, and what a relief. :razz:

Don't settle for going every other day, or less frequently.

Keep asking and trying until you get the right formula.

You will feel ever so much better/ :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users