#1 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

Just curious about sleep issues. I sleep for about 2-3 hours and then the rest of the night I have a real hard time. I can't seem to turn over and some nights I have a feeling like I'm choking on my own saliva. I am on a bipap machine with 4 liters of o2. I also had a recent sleep study done and my pulmonologist says my sleep isn't good.  

Is this PD related?

Thanks for your advice.

YOPD and dystonia DX 2013  symptomatic for 15 years   25/100 Sinemet 5x daily  1mg Azilect  50/200 Sinemet CR at bedtime  Miralax 17mg  5mg Valium 3x daily

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Could be sleep related.  One trick is to re-dose the sinemet at night when you wake up.  Also, sometimes a bed-time dose of clonazepam.  You and the neurologist should be able to work out a solution.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 DanC33

DanC33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFallon,NV

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for your help. I have an appointment with UCSF Neurology but I can't get in till May 20. I will talk to my MDS about it and the clonazepam.

YOPD and dystonia DX 2013  symptomatic for 15 years   25/100 Sinemet 5x daily  1mg Azilect  50/200 Sinemet CR at bedtime  Miralax 17mg  5mg Valium 3x daily

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

Good luck.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life

#5 lahdedah

lahdedah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few months ago.  My symptoms are fairly moderate but I too have problems sleeping and drooling.  I started taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) just before going to bed.  It is over the counter and has helped immensely with both the inability to sleep and the drooling.  I happened upon this by chance when I took some Tylenol PM, hoping it would help me sleep.  I learned diphenhydramine is the "pm" in Tylenol PM.  I wasn't especially wild about taking Tylenol on a regular basis and learned that the active ingredient in Benadryl is diphenhydramine.

I am curious about what Dr. Okun thinks about taking this.  I'm not a doctor and am not giving any medical advice.  Just thought you might want to inquire about it.  In any case I'd like to know if the Doc sees any problems taking Benadryl. 

#6 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

In general we prefer dopaminergics to treat PD symptoms, and sleep studies as well as other meds for sleep issues of PD.  We rarely use benadryl or related meds because they block the receptors in the brain important for memory and thing.  Having said that, there are circumstances where we find these drugs helpful in PD.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#7 lahdedah

lahdedah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Just to be clear, I never take the Benadryl except at night precisely because of the reasons you describe.  Taken during the day it makes me extremely sleepy.  However, I've found taken at bed time has helped with many of the sleep deprivation symptoms I was experiencing.  I function better both physically and mentally the next day.  Tremors are currently a problem for me and any stress exacerbates them - including fatigue.  I feel as if my tremors are less when I get better rest.

Thanks for answering my questions!

#8 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Definitely noted and glad this works.  Some people will use small doses of clonazepam instead of benadryl.  Glad you have a winning strategy that works well for you.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#9 vipowitz

vipowitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

I have been on a regimen to .5mg clonazepam with (alternatively) an over the counter sleep aid one night, then the next night its the clonazepam and 2 Tylenol pm. Will this put my cognition in jeopardy in the long run, and which dopaminergic or other drugs work for sleep problems?

#10 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

There is no data on your question so I can only speak from experience.  I am not sure it will jeopardize you in the long-run.  In my patients I prefer to use one drug consistently if possible.  There are a lot of winning strategies.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#11 vipowitz

vipowitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts