#1 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

Some positive things that have come out of having PD

1. It has enriched and deepened  my appreciation for life and what  is important   
  2. I was able to get a dog and soon will be getting  a service dog
  3. It has given me time to do things I wasn't able to before, such a s making food, reading, walks, net surfing..

I am also thankful that my timing has been good and I have benefited from opportunities that were not available before.  

1. Canada was the first country to legalize medical marijuana in 2001. I started using MM legally in about 2007. It has made a tremendous difference
  2. can’t imagine life without the internet as it offers access to so many things from home – info  on PD , support,  entertainment , music ,   etc...    It makes life with PD much more  empowering, especially as PD can be very isolating.
  3. Service dogs for Parkinson’s  is new

Edited by lethe, 23 April 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#2 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

My lab is going to be nine this year. She still loves to play just like when she was a pupShe is a pleasant  companion who loves to go on the boat and spend the day offshore.

My wife is not a boat person but she might go more this summer.PD has given me a new outlook on life. Enjoy today and never fear tomorrow.I met a PD patient at a Parkinson seminer . he has had it over thirty years now and he still has a clear mind and enjoys life.

#3 christie

christie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

PD has made me worry much less about life's "trivialities"... money, professional status and the likes...As if  I was born again with a flawless instinct for what's important in life and what's not.

Too bad that at the same time PD pretty much "robbed" me of the ability to truly enjoy all these things that matter the most. 

-English is not my first language !

-Aged 39. Diagnosed at 35. On levodopa monotherapy (500mg daily).

#4 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

We have an infestation of what they call a 'stink' bug. My DH says not to step on them or they spray something out that smells really bad. I can't smell it. Heehee.
<3.<3.<3.

Age 64. Diagnosed 2006.

Meds-Carbidopa/levodopa 25-100mg cr tabs four times daily
Benztropine 2mg tabs twice daily
B12 tab for memory loss one daily

#5 lethe

lethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

My lab is going to be nine this year. She still loves to play just like when she was a pupShe is a pleasant  companion who loves to go on the boat and spend the day offshore.

My wife is not a boat person but she might go more this summer.PD has given me a new outlook on life. Enjoy today and never fear tomorrow.I met a PD patient at a Parkinson seminer . he has had it over thirty years now and he still has a clear mind and enjoys life.

When I decided to get a dog I went to the shelter everyday for 2 months looking for a lab and it seemed like every time one appeared I was told it wouldn't be up for adoption for a few days and it would disappear by the next day.

I finally grabbed a young lab/straffordshire mix. I'll be getting a pure bred lab service dog. My mother is from Newfoundland and I strongly suspect that labs good nature comes from human Newfoundlanders influence on them, as Newfies are well-known for their friendliness, sense of humor and irreverent outlook.  Liiving on "the Rock" does things to the mind ....  :)

About 30 years ago  while driving a taxi I had a passenger who had PD for over 30 years too and had  a few documentaries done on him. 

You dog looks like a beauty...

Edited by lethe, 24 April 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#6 Ken_S

Ken_S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Wisconsin (Lake Nebagamon)

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Parkinson’s is freedom from the perfectionist guise.

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

#7 Keeper

Keeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

Ken_S - I like that!  Parkinson's is freedom from the perfectionist guise.  Also, I'm not only more tolerant of myself, but others as well.

Parkinson's has forced me to stop procrastinating.  I've always lived my life taking care of others... elderly parents who have both passed away in the last couple of years, a son with Asperger's who is struggling through high school, a husband with a brain tumor that is not operable (diagnosed the day my Mother had her heart attack that killed her - harsh to say the least).  I always thought there'd be time for me later... not necessarily so!  I needed permission to put me first.  Not so much anymore.

#8 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

My son was able to get a substantial scholarship primarily due to dealing with his mother's PD.

#9 Mattcarey

Mattcarey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

When I got diagnosed in June of 2013 I was ready to give up.  I was diagnosed with every condition in the book before I heard the P word.  I was on medication for anxiety, depression, I slept with a CPAP.  the worst thing was that I couldn’t focus at work.  I am a mortgage broker so focus is a must.  The second I heard the word Parkinson’s my heart stopped.  I was 31 and thought why me.  The dr immediately had me take a carbadopa levadopa.  Within 30 minutes I was back to how I felt  4 years prior.  After a few days I made it a mission to enrich the lives of others with YOPD.  I managed to find the Parkinson’s Association of San Diego .  They had a 5K that was being done a few months later.  I went in, met with the director, and started a fundraising for the run.  A very special friend that I grew up knowing was a news anchor for Fox.  She showed interest in my story so she put one together.  I was grateful to have had the opportunity.  That story turned into a live interview on the Fox San Diego Morning Show.  Then KUSI jumps on board and interviews me.   Then the San Diego Union Tribune interviewed  me.  I was turning into a spokesman for YOPD.  I received many calls from people that thanked me and told me I inspired them.  I never thought  in a million years that I would have an impact on other people’s lives.  With the fundraiser, I was able to raise $14,500.00 for the association without help from my team of 60.  Next year for the fundraiser I plan on having a team of 300 and raising over 50K.  My diagnosis has given me the confidence to do better at work, tell my story and speak  in front of large groups of people.  I am riding the wave until they find a cure for this disease.

#10 Annikin

Annikin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:39 AM

Pretty great first post- welcome to our world and thanks for such a positive introduction Matt!

#11 afroney

afroney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

We have an infestation of what they call a 'stink' bug. My DH says not to step on them or they spray something out that smells really bad. I can't smell it. Heehee.

Some people have all the luck!

I can still smell really nasty stuff, just not the pleasant things.

#12 Ken_S

Ken_S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Wisconsin (Lake Nebagamon)

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

Parkinson’s disease—young onset anyhow—levels out the old age learning curve.

Where most people get old & than start learning about all the associated issues; by the time I get there, I’ll be a seasoned professional

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users