3 replies to this topic

#1 dinnes

dinnes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

I take Carbidopa/Levidopa so far for 5 months. This keeps many symptoms manageable. I work full time and carry a lot of responsibilities. Tiredness, fatigue and loss of focus are my big enemies. I drink coffee, 2 cups in the morning and one at lunchtime. This isn't really enough. 

What stimulants are used for PD patients? I have started speaking to my Neurologist by e-mail, but originally did not like to idea of taking a stimulant. I hoping to research possibilities and ask her opinion.

Thanks!

#2 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Dr's usually will start with Providing or the once a day provigil. After that, they may try Ritalin or Adderall.
Just a note, all do have some addictive potential so, make sure you start with a low dose and increase it slowly.
Too much, too fast, too bad. Stay low, stay low, good to go.
Hope that helps.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#3 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Some people say Amantadine gives them a boost. I believe some MS patients use it for fatigue as well.
Correct if I'm misspeaking Mark.
Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#4 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Advanced Member

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

No, that is correct. But, from what I have experienced myself and seen in other patients, it is not as reliable, as far as timing on a daily basis as Ritalin (or Provigil or Nuvigil.
What I would do if I were you is try the amantadine for up to 3 months or so, if you see it working consistently at the correct time every day, then stick with it. If not, you may want to discuss a low dose Ritalin (maybe 5-10mg) per day.
I had a difficult time with the timing and how many to take of the amantadine. After about a month my sleep cycles were off, nap in the day and awake at night. It is very difficult to tell if the daytime drowsiness is due to the disease or the medication that may be causing the disease. It seems as if it is the medication, amantadine works better. If it is the disease, the Ritalin (or Adderall, Provigil, or Nuvigil) might work better.
With most things related to PD, it is hit or miss. Some meds work for some people and other ones don't. The main thing to remember with any medication you start with, start low and go slow. That means, start with a lower dose and increase it slowly to a dose that works for you.
Keep me posted.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users