#2 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

I added a 2 inch egg crate mattress to my bed and it helps tremendously. I also have a bed rail that fits under the mattress on each side, and a Posey bed cradle to keep the covers off my cramping toes. Any medical supply should have all three items.

Dianne

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#3 scottwh

scottwh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Locationphiladelphia pa

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

thanks 

I was thinking what mattress people have found helpful but a rail sounds like it would be helpful

was going to hang a rope ect from ceiling can't decide if its comedy or tragedy

#4 AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Memory foam mattress best thing i ever bought.

#5 AB-Normal

AB-Normal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationTacoma Wa.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Actually a rope from the celling is exactly what I used for years, attached to a eye bolt screwed into a log directly above the bed (log home). In a conventional home, make sure you find/use at least a 2X6 to attach the rope to. btw, I still use my rope trick above m glider/rocker out on the covered patio here.......... helps me get up and out of the chair....

Michael

Current age= 55

First symptoms: 1975

Prior mis-diagnosis: Dyspraxia, Essential Tremors, Ataxia, "Nerves".....

Final Dx. of Parkinson's: 10/13

DBS surgery 12/4/14

To quote Cowboy, (a former regular forum member)..........Parkinson's brings us all together. With our many differences and emotions. We have something in common here. It is progressive, dangerous and has adversely affected our lives. We come together here looking for knowledge and comfort from one another.

-- Thank you Cowboy-- wherever you may be......................

#6 livingwithtau

livingwithtau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

A firm bed does not need to be hard. I have a Stearns and Foster but other brands can be comparable. It is the number of coils in the mattress that provide the stability and then you choose firm, plush, etc. according to your comfort level for the covering. AnthonyB also mentioned memory foam which is another option either as the top layer or for the whole mattress. We did tests on all the different options at a good mattress store. They offered free return if not satisfied. They also have frames which can raise or lower each side of a split king or queen but it was expensive. (Like a hospital bed but way more plush). A quality mattress with good support but the ability to prevent pressure areas is worth the investment for the precious sleep we all need.

#7 Loving Life

Loving Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

I have a Sleep Number bed, and it is perfect for me!  I can always adjust the firmness if need be to meet my needs of the night.

#8 afroney

afroney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Memory foam mattress best thing i ever bought.

Agreed. Best $500 I've ever spent.

#9 bjenczyk

bjenczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationLittleton, MA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

Memory foam here, too.  I do wake up every morning with bad back pain, though.  I am pretty sure it is because my SInemet has worn off, and my rigidity is at its worst.  Once my Sinemet kicks in for the day the back pain fades.

Dx'd 3/12 @ 48. Symptoms 7 years prior.
carbidopa/l dopa 25/250 6x daily, CR 2 pills at bedtime
No DaT scan, normal MRI. Dx'd by observation of neurologist,

Symptoms: left side rigidity when "off", sleep disruption, no sense of smell, minor fatigue, back pain

Still an optimist - what is wrong with me?

#10 scottwh

scottwh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

thanks for all the replies and I wish you all a good nights sleep

#11 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Pillow top bed here... BUT, it's all in the sheets and nightwear!  Satin or sateen sheets (can be a little warm, if you have hot flashes, but they are s-l-i-c-k!!) and satin PJ's or a nightgown, as is your preference.  This makes turning over much, much easier.  

Dx 1994, age 45.  DBS surgery, 2009:  Bi-lateral; wires to one battery - on my left side.  500mg Sinemet CR daily.

#12 scottwh

scottwh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

ty kim

I will try this 

the satin that is 

not to sure about the nightgown

s

#13 KimAgain

KimAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

ty kim

I will try this 

the satin that is 

not to sure about the nightgown

s

Last time I had an off meds test at Vanderbilt, my husband and I stayed in a hotel to stretch the drive out over two days--we swore we'd never do that again!  Since then, we take our RV, which is equipped with an extra soft mattress and sateen sheets.  The night we stayed in the hotel, I had been taken off meds for 24 hours and had my DBS switched off... in the middle of the night, I awoke, hanging off the side of the bed with absolutely NO ability to pull myself back into the bed.  I was trying to quietly wake my husband, because he was sleeping super close and I feared, if he awoke with a start, that would be the end of it for me--I'd hit the ground in the manner I was hanging--head first!  Luckily, he awoke gently and was able to pull me back into the bed, but I came away from the experience with a valuable lesson--friction in bed, for a Parky (we're talking SHEETS here, you understand?!!) is a BAD THING!!  I slippy slide when I turn in bed these days and it is much, much easier.  A word of caution, however--it can also make getting back into bed if, like me, you are 5ft 1inch and the bed is 4ft off the ground!  I love my old bed, but the time is coming of me to go low, low down.  Slipping off the bed is a breeze, but I have to pull myself up with the aid of the headboard to get in. 

I'm thinking of joining OverSharer's Anonymous.  Do you think I have a problem??!

Dx 1994, age 45.  DBS surgery, 2009:  Bi-lateral; wires to one battery - on my left side.  500mg Sinemet CR daily.

#14 scottwh

scottwh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

not at all K

you brought me a smile and I just ordered satin sheets

llike I said tragedy or comedy

#15 Annikin

Annikin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

I have an i-comfort gel bed so of course, I sleep on the couch.

#16 scottwh

scottwh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

lol

that pd in a nutshell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users