#1 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

Board Certified Pharmacist

• Ask the Pharmacist Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

Hello to all my friends,
I have good news and some not so good news.
About a week ago, as my family is moving into a new house and getting ready for a belated graduation party for our eldest daughter, something happened to me. I was walking to the sun room, saw little flashing lights, and down I went.
Now I have always preached to listen to you're body, I didn't.
Was rushed to the hospital for possible seizure. Even though I explained the that I was concious and able to give name, date of birth, address, social security number, and all 13 meds I was on. They did not take me to MY hospital. I understand they have a job to get you to the closest medical facility, so look up "why not to have an ambulance take a PD patients to hospitals. "
The first day there, they took me off ambien, oxycodone, baclofen, and fentanyl. Now this is a recipe for a major withdrawal.
That night my blood pressure dropped to 53/24. At that point, I put myself in the hands of a higher power. I was weak, could hardly talk, had 3 to 4 fluid IV a day, but they at least let me take my own sinemet.
My roommate, who I will call Tim, came in the day before I did. On day 2 we got to talking. He asked why I was there, my reply, Nobody knows, they think I had a seizure, but I was concious the whole time and felt every twist and jerk and thriving motion." I said, "How about you?" He replied with a Cheshire grin, "I have cancer, and could die anytime between now and 30 days."
He showed me his x-ray, and he was, what we call "Straight Piped." A small portion of his upper intestine was connected to a small portion of his lower intestine. The issue was, there was a blockage, that turned out to be an inoperable cancer bulge. They were giving him food by mouth that never absorbed. No IV.
My wife, who by coincidence worked for his insurance company, and I talked to his dr. All he wanted to do was go home and die with friends and family around him.
So, they changed him to IV protein, vitamin bag, saline bag, and fat soluble vitamin bag at about 11 am on day 2 of my stay. I feel like hell, but we knew he needed help.
Tim had a funny quirk, he would yell out random words in the middle of the night. It made me laugh when I would hear F-word then hospital.
At 3:13 am, the early morning of day 3, he yelled,"MARK." I woke up and say the time. I asked if he was ok. With no answer, and his monitor still beeping, I knew he was ok, so I fell back to sleep from pure exhaustion.
At 4:45 am, I felt this burning pain starting at my back and moving toward my chest. It felt like flaming arrows being pulled out of me. Now I have experienced pain in my life, a broken lower leg that came through the skin (ie Joe Theismann), broken ankle, broken wrist, broke every finger, broken arm, and a rib that pops out of my vertebrae. I have never felt pain like this before.
It ended, and I slept until 11am. I looked at Tim, and he looked great!
I asked Tim if he remembered yelling my name? He said,"Yes, because I was trying to warn you that the black horsemen were coming after you. Then I saw a bright light and thought I was going to the other side. Then I say the light go to you're side of the curtain, and realized our higher power was protecting you. I think it was because of all the help you and your wife gave me."
With eyes wide open, I could not say a word. I felt better, like some load was lifted, my spirits higher, and glad to see Tim better.
I had a CAT SCAN, EEG, and corotid doppler. All were negative.
True, while moving, I did not sleep much, eat much, but took my meds. I have emensely high anxiety levels. Add them all up, and BOOM!
I was let go this past Thursday. I am happy to say, my roommate Tim, who was supposed to go to hospice the day after I left, went home the day after me. HE WENT HOME!!!
There are things in life we can't explain. I do know this. We were put in that room together for a reason. I don't ask and will not ask the question of why, as I usually would. I am just going to accept it.
My daughters and I are going to pick him up today and take him out for custard ice cream.
I guess I want to say "Thank You." To my wife, my daughters, my family, my friends, my new friend "Tim", and who ever put us in that room together.
Keep the faith, keep on believing, and keep on moving forward. Because, as the band "The Police" said it best, "We are spirits living in the material world."
Godspeed my friends. Some of the Dr's will be handling my board for a bit while I recoup. Not sure how long, but I will hopefully be back soon.
Thank you all for all you have done for me. I hope and wish I help you as much as you have helped me.
Godspeed and STAY ALIVE.
You're Pharmacist,
Mark R. Comes (aka Kid Shakes)
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#2 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

Mark,
So sorry for your turn of events. Wishing you the best during your recoup.
Take care of you and THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!

Best wishes~

Karen
Karen

Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#3 Annie1

Annie1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hello Mark,

Thank you for sharing this experience.  You've provided much food for thought.  I'm sure you have many, many people sending positive thoughts and prayers your way right now - mine included! 

#4 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

Really needed to hear something up lifting
Thanks and get well soon.

#5 DanK

DanK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hope you feel better soon.

#6 Rocki

Rocki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Please be well. Both you and Tim will be in our prayers.

#7 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

Mark,

You have angels looking out for you.  You will be back in no time flat.  We will all be praying for you.  Take good care!

#8 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Well my friends, even when I'll I try to keep the eye to thee sky and look for the sun. But, I am headed back in as I write this. That is how much you mean to me.
Heard that Robin Williams committed suicide last night. I met him at a charity event. 10 minutes with him is like an hour with anyone else. A great comedian, actor, and a better person. We had one thing in commom, we were both very quick thinkers, so I don't know if we even heard what eachother said. It was a profound moment for me.
I may be out a tad longer than expected.
In the mean time, get in touch with an old friend, tell someone you wronged that you are sorry, hold those close to closer, and make amends to those you need to.
Godspeed & STAY ALIVE!
Mark (and by the way, my friends call me Kid Shakes) a little insight into me.
Godspeed & STAY ALIVE!
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#9 New normal

New normal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

Thank you for taking the time to share..it proves your commitment to the forum ....I wish you well...and your experience underscores how much you understand us...God Bless...
Dx'd 6/13 @ 66. Symptoms 10 years prior.
carbidopa/l dopa 50/200 5x daily
Normal DaT scan '13, normal MRI, '13 Dx'd w/l dopa challenge in office by MDS
Second DaT scan, 10/14, normal.
Symptoms: tremors rt & lft side, rt leg drag whn tired, balance, cognitive/ speech issues, apathy
Live, laugh, and be happy.

#10 Trying hard

Trying hard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Wishing you all the best, and thank you for all that you do.

#11 old+slow

old+slow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationNH.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Wishing you the best Mark and to quote the others... a huge thank you for all you do !!!

Vic

So what were we talking about?

#12 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:07 AM

Thank you all, but you need to stop it or I will start to cry. LOL.
It appears that their is an issue with the EEG results. So, I am being released and going to MY hospital where "Team Kid Shakes" will be running the show. Thank goodness.
I am keeping up when I can on all of the great questions, but please allow me a little latitude on getting back to you. I never know when someone will be taking something out of me or putting something in me.
This is truly great therapy for me and I have missed you all very much.
Once again, thank you for the kind words.
See you back on the board soon.
Godspeed & STAY ALIVE!
You're pharmacist.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

#13 jas1125

jas1125

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Best of luck to you Mark, and thanks for sharing this experience. Keeping you in my prayers also

#14 New normal

New normal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Mark

I do not see the post anymore that you wrote abt yr stay on the hospital...I loved it. I hope you can post as an individual so as to not cause someone to take exception to it.

How sad others cd not see it.

You hv the right to participate...just use your moniker...I feel cheated otherwise..

Thank you.
Dx'd 6/13 @ 66. Symptoms 10 years prior.
carbidopa/l dopa 50/200 5x daily
Normal DaT scan '13, normal MRI, '13 Dx'd w/l dopa challenge in office by MDS
Second DaT scan, 10/14, normal.
Symptoms: tremors rt & lft side, rt leg drag whn tired, balance, cognitive/ speech issues, apathy
Live, laugh, and be happy.

#15 MComes RPH

MComes RPH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

That is much appreciated, but this is all I have. I tried to see if there was another way, but there isn't.
In the mean time, if anyone was offended or say it in a different light, my deepest apologies.
Thank you.
Best of health,
Mark R. Comes R.Ph.
"Ask The Pharmacist"
www.parkinson.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: meds, seizure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users