Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

So says his wife.

http://www.foxnews.c...insons-disease/

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world." - Jesus (John 16:33)

#2 young_dad

young_dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

I know that Robin Williams donated often to the Davis Phinney Foundation.  

#3 TeresaJ

TeresaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Wow, that is sad that even he felt like he couldn't reach out.
Not yet dx. I'm exploring my options. Who wants to be tied down to one boring disease anyway? ;-)
In all seriousness, recently, a calm has come over me, and I am ok without a dx at this time. I figure I will just do all I can and let things take their course.
Mirapex ER 0.375 nightly
Amitriptyline 30mg
Zonisamide 200mg

#4 McCall

McCall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

He played the Dr. in Awakenings and he knew about Parkingsons. I can imagine if it were starting to affect his incredible mind, that he might think it was time to go before he was not himself anymore, but it is so horribly sad.

#5 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

The story I saw said that he was in the "early stages" of the disease.

Age 58. Diagnosed 7/14 by a DatScan. Currently only display a right hand/arm tremor. Beginning Azilect 8/6/2014

#6 soccertese2010

soccertese2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationseattle

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

on the other hand he wasn't stupid, treatments are a lot better now than then in the 70's and he could afford the best advice/treatments.  i find it strange his wife felt compelled to reveal his pd now, as if she wanted to blame his death on early pd and nothing else?  might have contributed to it but i don't think many people kill themselves in the early stages, especially now that there is more hope for a cure.  call me cold but she left the house in the morning without seeing him since the night before since they slept in separate rooms.

Edited by soccertese2010, 14 August 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#7 MrFritz

MrFritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

It's one thing for the newly dx'ed to get depressed. But for those who are already depressed, it's doubly bad. I can see how it may have pushed him over the edge. RIP Robbin.

#8 Oakman

Oakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

I imagine being diagnosed with PD, while suffering from long term depression, would be a major blow.

*Oops, Fritz beat me to it. Damn PD has slowed my typing.

Edited by Oakman, 14 August 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#9 pwri

pwri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

I know what you mean musicman. I have read that depression can be a symptom of PD or a side effect of meds. However, we all need to remember that, like PD, people are all different. Some people were negative and depressed long before they got PD. We have a family friend who is a practicing cardiologist. He once told me that we are all just trying to extend our lives until we are put into a box. I now dread talking to this guys because he is always so negative.

#10 soccertese2010

soccertese2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationseattle

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

i'm not trying to speculate exactly why he committed suicide, just thinking about the potential affect on pd'ers who are recently diagnosed.  god forbid if they start demanding antidepressants right away or doctors start playing defensive medicine and offer to write a RX.    Probably making a mountain out of a mole hill but the news media is going to play this up to no end, how bad pd is, etc.   and i just got an email from a pd organization offering counseling/advice if i think i'm depressed, which is depressing.

#11 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

and i just got an email from a pd organization offering counseling/advice if i think i'm depressed, which is depressing.

Ha! Man, that is sick....

Age 58. Diagnosed 7/14 by a DatScan. Currently only display a right hand/arm tremor. Beginning Azilect 8/6/2014

#12 elle

elle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationEscapee from Houston to small town Texas

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

musicman I know you realize that this forum is for people of all stages as well as their as their caregivers.  You have initiated some change around here and is was positive; some ppl now put their diagnosis in their signature as well as their meds.  But now you don't want to have to read the posts of depressed persons.  The solution is easy...just skip over their posts.

Perhaps you should just read the newly diagnosed thread. It might be the best choice for you because we can't close all the threads due to some very valuable information being shared.  We all learn from one another. As a caregiver I wish the caregiver thread was closed.  Not gonna happen.  I hope that you will gain a lot of valuable information from an imperfect system.

Edited by elle, 14 August 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#13 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

So so sad....
Karen

Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#14 musicman

musicman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

It does seem as if Robin Williams jumped the gun a bit. Surely he had years of positive life left in him. But that's the way of severely depressed people I suppose....

#15 TeresaJ

TeresaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Let me remind you people that this forum is here for EVERYONE! If I or anyone else want to post something sad or mad we have that right. There is no rule that says every post has to be happy or feel good. I am very disappointed, and do not like where this is headed.
Actually, I am so angry I can't even think straight.
Not yet dx. I'm exploring my options. Who wants to be tied down to one boring disease anyway? ;-)
In all seriousness, recently, a calm has come over me, and I am ok without a dx at this time. I figure I will just do all I can and let things take their course.
Mirapex ER 0.375 nightly
Amitriptyline 30mg
Zonisamide 200mg

#16 Drummergirl

Drummergirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationWhite River Jct. Vermont

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Wow, I knew this would cause some interesting posts!
Karen

Dx in 95' at 35- Normal MRI, Abnormal Da t Scan- Resting tremor- right foot, leg tremors. RX- 25/100 Carb/ l =600 mg,
0.5 Azilect 1 daily Comtan 200mg 2 day, 0.5 mg Clonazepam 1 daily.

#17 Gardener

Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

I agree with Theresa's comments.  I'm a little surprised at these posts but I guess that's what an open forum is for.

Gardener, female, 58, diagnosed at 55, 650 mg of Sinemet daily.

#18 Trying hard

Trying hard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

I have to agree with TeresaJ.  This forum is for everyone and Musicman it is your choice how you deal with what you read.  As for Robin Williams it is possible that he got hit really hard earlier with the anxiety and depression that the PD was causing before the diagnosis.  It is sad, but also his suicide may have had nothing at all to due with the PD.  All that is happening is that everyone is speculating on his cause, and the only one that knows the why is Robin Williams.  It is just very sad that he felt he had no where or no one to turn to for help.  He may have reached out, but no one listened, and that would be even sadder.   So that Musicman is why some forum members come to rant or to talk about not so good news, because it helps, and you may find yourself in that situation one of these days. 

I hope everyone has a great evening.

#19 graflexmaster

graflexmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationTacoma Wa.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I agree whole heartedly with teresa. This forum is for everyone, and if someone is depressed, I would rather see them post their problems here, that for them to take the final exit, because if they post here, then we at least have the opportunity to help them! One of the biggest reasons people commit suicide is that they feel that their world has contracted around them, with no place or direction to turn. Here, we have a safe place for PWP's and their caregivers to turn. A place where they can post their problems and troubles, as well as their fears, and other struggles. I would hope that by being able to post and then discuss these problems, troubles, hopes ,fears, and struggles, that WE as a group can lessen their feeling of isolation, and keep their world from closing in to the point of suicide. If any of us can help someone from taking that road, then we can consider our time here well spent. I post this from the deepest depths of my heart...................

Although I have never considered suicide, nor have issues with depression, These are subjects that are very close to my heart and soul, because my younger brother committed suicide in 1988 at 17 years of age........................RIP James (my brother) and Robin.

musicman? I won't even begin to say what I think and feel about your statements, other than I agree with Trying Hard, and let that suffice.

Edited by graflexmaster, 14 August 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Michael

Current age= 54

Symptom Onset- 1991 (31)

Current meds

Sinemet 6X/day (700mg L-Dopa) 

Azilect 1mg 1X/day

To quote Cowboy, (a former regular forum member)..........Parkinson's brings us all together. With our many differences and emotions. We have something in common here. It is progressive, dangerous and has adversely affected our lives. We come together here looking for knowledge and comfort from one another.

-- Thank you Cowboy-- wherever you may be......................

<Remember, Reality is still optional>

<Love shared, Is Love increased........ Pain shared, is Pain decreased.>

#20 TNdad

TNdad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

By coincidence I watched Awakenings 2 days before the news. I especially liked his portrayal of a teacher in The dead poets society. Sorry we won't have any new examples of his talents. I'm not convinced that recent onset of PD pushed him over the edge. I am saddened that we lost someone who could have been a wonderful advocate for our condition just like Michael J Fox.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us Robin, rest in peace...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users