3 replies to this topic

#1 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Are you familiar with any apps for computers or cell phone that can calculate your rate of speech? I am interested in some  thing that can tell how fast I am speaking. I tend to talk to fast so I something concrete to tell me how fast I talk

#2 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

There is acoustic software that can calculate rate but there is an easier way to calculate rate.   Read a passage for 1-2 minutes.  Find a stable/representative 15 seconds and then count the number of syllables and multiply by 4.  That will give you the number of syllables/minute and you can compare over time.

Have you tried increasing loudness to normal loudness levels?  That technique has been shown to reduce rate as well.

Sincerely,

Dr. Mahler

Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

#3 noah

noah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

I found an app you can get from the i tunes called  pace setter put out by Aptus Speech and language..

#4 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

The cause of speech and voice changes in People with PD results from motor and sensory changes.  Apps can be very useful but may not fully address the cause of the communication disorder so the benefits may not generalize to functional communication.  I would still recommend that you seek the advice of a speech-language pathologist in person for a plan individualized to your needs.

Sincerely,

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users