#1 xaxa

xaxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hi dr Okun!
I hope you are well. I would like to know what your thoughts are regarding Parkinsonism and dystonias (mostly OMD & torticolis) in the setting of tic disorder. It would seem that I have an imbalance of dopamine rather than a pure loss of dopamine. Somewhat of a dilema, methinks.... have you seen patients like this get relief after DBS? If so, what was their "target" and why? Thank you for your time and effort, as always.

Mary

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,525 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

PD patients often have dystonia and this has a good chance of improving following DBS if there are not contractures.  The tics I have seen are almost always chidhood onset Tourette syndrome patients who later get PD and we know very little about DBS in these cases but presumably there would be a reasonable chance to help motor and vocal tics.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

Author of Amazon Kindle, Paperback and Audio of 10 Breakthrough Therapies for Parkinson's Disease
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 xaxa

xaxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Thank you Dr. Okun! So in those patients that had a childhood onset tic disorder that later developed Parkinson's disease, do you know if there was a familial tendency or was it sporadic or both? Any relationship to ALS?
Thanks
ps my 10 year old daughter has Tourette's, my mom has bulbar ALS, and my mother-in-law has Parkinson's, recently diagnosed. Lordy. Lol.

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,525 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Usually the tics run in families.  I do not know of a genetic connection between tics, PD and ALS.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

Author of Amazon Kindle, Paperback and Audio of 10 Breakthrough Therapies for Parkinson's Disease
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users