#1 BillBRNC

BillBRNC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

I started low dose Sinemet, I guess fast acting (not CR) last night. Just wondered how many days to see whether the adverse reactions to show up, if they are going to show up. My doc plans to wait two weeks and then up the dosage if no problems, but I assume he has padded his time frame. Sometimes these things crop up in the first couple days, or never, but I just don't know about Sinemet. Thanks. Bill.

Edited by BillBRNC, 15 February 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#2 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Bill,

Adverse reactions can occur right away, years down the road, or never.  Don't worry about it until it happens.

Dave

• Rogerstar1, New normal and Discovery like this

#3 Discovery

Discovery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationOkanagan Valley, Canada

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Ditto....sound advise...

D
First symptom noticed was right arm bent at elbow - February 2014
Right arm and leg tremor, no arm swing - June 2014
Diagnosed with ET by GP - July 2014
Diagnosed with PD by 2 Neurologist - October 2014
Diagnosed with Early Parkinson by MDS - April 2015

Meds
1 mg of Azilect per day (Monotherapy)

Daily exercise is my true medicine
Jogging/Power walking-Beach and Pavement ,Free weights/equipment, Boxing, Whole Body Vibration Machine,Yoga

#4 BillBRNC

BillBRNC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

I know you guys are right, but I'm just at my wits end these days. Looking for someone to bring me back. And thanks for your comments, because I needed them from people who have been there and lived through it. Thanks.
  • MurrayPD2 likes this

#5 New normal

New normal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:04 AM

Bill

I have taken Sinemet 4 years. DH (dear husband) has taken it 1 year. No reaction other than improvement. Everyone is different. There are PWP (people with parkonsons) who have taken it 20+ years and do well.

If you have time to think,,,replace that time with exercise and plan for the next day something that makes you happy....you may never have "bad stuff"....

Keep in mind this forum generally is for questions about atypical things PWP (people with PD) experience and want to inquire...there are 1,000's and 1,000's out there with few if any problems for a very long time.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

NN

My suggestion is find someone...anyone...who needs help...there is,little time to think about possible negative,things if you are in service for someone else...
  • Rogerstar1 and Beau's Mom like this
Dx'd 6/13 @ 66 by MDS with sub linquil L dopa challenge. Meds: Carbidopa/l dopa 50/200 5x in 24 hr
4/15, reaction in 6 mos to Amantadine 100 mg 2x per day.
DaT scan '13, normal. MRI '13, normal. DaT scan '13 repeat, normal. DaT scan '14, normal. DaT scan '15, normal.
Symptoms: 90% - 100% controlled: bilateral body tremors, chin tremor, tongue tremor, rt leg drag, balance, slow movement, cognitive/speech, apathy, executive function, autonomic systems. Patient to Neuro, "Next appt, on or off meds?" Neuro to patient, "ON meds...you are too scary when off!" <smile>

DH: dx'd PD 4/15 @ 70 by MDS with l dopa challenge by prescription. DaT scan, '15, normal. Meds: 25/100 mg carbidopa/ L dopa, 6x per 24 hr. Now being evaluated by VA for "agent orange" PD.

#6 J of Grey Cottage

J of Grey Cottage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

Hello, Bill --

I'm really just an echo to Dave and New Normal.  Don't worry about the side effects.  If one appears, there is time to deal with it then.  Keeping busy and more or less ignoring PD seems to help us resist it. 

I've had PD for 20 years or more, have been on drugs for it for 15 years.  The only side effect I experienced that caused me to change a medication was dizziness from Azilect.  My doctor cut the dosage in half, and the problem was solved.  As New Normal pointed out, you may hear about side effects a lot, but they are not the usual case. 

Best wishes!

• johnnys and New normal like this

First symptoms:  1997

Dx of PD:  2002

Meds:  Mirapex, Azilect, Carbidopa/Levodopa, Amantadine, Ubiquinol (CoQ10)

Status:  Widow managing own household, still in first stage of PD

#7 johnnys

johnnys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Locationnys

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

I"ve been able to cut my meds in half since I added comtan1 200mg daily

I wonder why doctors don't prescribe this drug earlier to avoid high cl doses

#8 TexasTom

TexasTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Sinemet is levadopa/carbidopa. 

Long term may cause dyskenesia, but something of interest in Dr. Ahlskogs Parkinson's Disease Treatment book was his comment it affects about 50% of those who started Sinemet before age 40.   There is almost no issue with dyskenesia with those who started taking the drug after age 70.

Jonnys - I added Comtan when it was obvious just C/L didn't last long enough.   Stalevo is a commonly prescribed, as it is C/L plus Comtan in one pill.  It was much cheaper to buy C/L & Comtan as two separate items.

Edited by TexasTom, 23 February 2017 - 11:01 AM.

• New normal likes this

#9 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Stalevo is a great drug but very expensive and some people get stomach problems with it.  My mom will not swallow her meds due to advanced dementia so I crush it and it's a no-no.   When it is taken the correct way it's wonderful.

#10 BillBRNC

BillBRNC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thanks and I am paying attention and learning. Due to my cognitive issues, I tend to forget or get confused or just crazy, but I really trying and I appreciate you guys putting up with my somewhat dumb questions.

#11 miracleseeker

miracleseeker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

There are no dumb questions.   You won't know unless you ask.  My sister has type 2 diabetes and she chooses to be ignorant of the disease and just do what her doctor tells her to do.  I think it's denial and that's not healthy.  You on the other hand want to know everything that is happening to you and get an idea of what's to come.  That is a normal human response. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users